A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI failure, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI failure, any ideas?

When I started my car up this morning the language was set to Spanish for some reason. I shut the MMI system off and when it started up again I selected English. The next time I started up the car, the MMI system wouldn't respond at all. Now it just freezes at the liability warning "Accept" screen. After a few minutes, all the buttons slowly blink 3 times. Then the screen closes, all the buttons on the console glow bright red and then go dark. When I hit the on button, the whole cycle repeats.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've shut the car off for now and I'm hoping it will "fix" itself. If not, should I try disconnecting the battery for a while to try and reset everything? Also, the 3-key combination to Reset the MMI doesn't do anything.

Steve
Old 12-29-2004, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first inclination would be to call the dealer.

This does not sound like a "normal" MMI issue. What are the outside temps like where you are? Where are you?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:48 PM

Buenos dias. :-(
Old 12-29-2004, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: My first inclination would be to call the dealer.

I'm in Alaska and the temp was around 15degrees outside at the time. Does that matter? If you're thinking of the battery being low, I saw it was at 100% when I was going through the different menus (in Spanish) trying to get it to switch back to English.

I'll check with the dealer tomorrow if it doesn't clear up on its own.

Steve
Old 12-29-2004, 08:16 PM

Default Cold temperatures and MMI

Greenie's point is an important one. My MMI 'froze up completely' last winter when the temperature bottomed to -50 degrees C. However, once the car warmed up in the garage at +15 degrees C, the MMI's functions were restored. With the upgrade though, I have not had any MMI problems so far (maximum temperature so far this year = - 45 degrees C)

The problems your are describing though appear different, and seem to reflect primary MMI failure, as opposed to cold temperature-induced failure.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hate to say it Steve, but this sounds suspiciously like...

what happened to my MMI when I spilled coffee over the MMi buttons...any chance a beverage jumped its home and nestled under your MMI plate?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nothing spilled.

And, except for the thing spontaneously switching to Spanish, it worked fine for the first part of the day. Then I parked it for a little while and when I went to drive it later, boom the control lights all turned red and the MMI screen went down. I guess it just died.

Steve
Old 12-29-2004, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is in service mode...

Most likely a stuck button or two. You'll have to have the system reset by the dealer.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Condensation? Shorted it out...
Old 12-29-2004, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you noticed the ads that pop up under your post frame?

The one that just came up for me said "Learn Spanish!" How in the world does Google know your MMI speaks Spanish and you or I might need to learn the language? LOL

Quick Reply: MMI failure, any ideas?