A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Gear Problem Achieved Temporary Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default promise

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I see your promise to stop making posts like this has been broken in less than ten weeks.....well done.
If it actually fix the problem I would applaud the effort.
but exactly what is the accomplishment here? exactly what has been fixed/saved?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to agree, this is not a fix it is a botched way of avoiding the problem - why buy a car that has features which when they need maintenance work, you just get rid of that feature.
Forget fillings and dentistry, just pull those teeth out when they hurt, that'll fix them.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by s4master1
If it actually fix the problem I would applaud the effort.
but exactly what is the accomplishment here? exactly what has been fixed/saved?
He can view the screen for navigation and other features/benefits (translation; use the car) while awaiting the service part since virtually no dealers stock the item. Plus, if he's going the new brass gear route, that takes time to get from few sources and then the time to install if doing it yourself.

A perfect example would be if he had a long, cross-country road trip planned and the screen mech malfunctions a day before the trip. I would not want to use an alternate vehicle. Instead, I'd prop the screen in the upright position and use the vehicle normally.

For a worse problem, then yes, an alternate car it would be. If traveling alone or maybe with one other person, my Beetle turbo would be utilized. Otherwise it's Hertz or National car rental.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
I have to agree, this is not a fix it is a botched way of avoiding the problem - why buy a car that has features which when they need maintenance work, you just get rid of that feature.
Forget fillings and dentistry, just pull those teeth out when they hurt, that'll fix them.
I bought my car with the expectation that it is designed, engineered and built to not have weak systems included. I don't expect a screen mechanism to fail prior to a part that moves 100% of the time when the car is being driven such as an alternator, air conditioning compressor or even the not so moving part like the starter.

As for your comment about teeth, thanks to very poor insurance, my wife, on her own, went to the dentist and was told a root canal was needed for one of her (side?) teeth. Out of pocket cost, thanks to yearly maximum etc was like $2k. She asked how much would out of pocket be for extracting the tooth? They were dumfounded and had to look in the computer and said $60.00 They also confided that the particular tooth was not really necessary anyway. She chose the cheap option. I played no part in her decision by the way.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The issue is that it is a part unique to this car and so cannot have the same level of development and evolution in design as a part fitted to every car - so it is bound to be less reliable. You have to remember, when it first appeared in 2003, it was more like something from a film set than a car interior - and we all know how well film sets are made!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
The issue is that it is a part unique to this car and so cannot have the same level of development and evolution in design as a part fitted to every car - so it is bound to be less reliable. You have to remember, when it first appeared in 2003, it was more like something from a film set than a car interior - and we all know how well film sets are made!
I do not agree with the first part. Unique parts makes this $80K car. Without them it would be $40K car (calculated by weight and compared to some Ford's that has starter, alternator, wheels and all the rest). So $40K difference per car is plenty money for a proper development of "unique parts".

On the other hand, I agree with that "film set" part. This retractable screen comes strait from some SF movie. It is just that functional, reliable and outdated.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This isn't an argument on which should be which. It was me wanting my MMI to stay open. I am not cheap and I am not avoiding fixing it if it breaks. I simply want my MMI to stay open to 1. avoid it breaking in the future, and 2. so it doesn't open every time I make a small trip but still want to listen to the radio (I know you can turn off the MMI and disable the screen from opening)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEMPORARY Fix

s4master1, the word TEMPORARY, as used in the title of my original post, is defined as "lasting for a limited time." There's a reason I didn't title my post "Crude and Inferior yet Permanent Fix for MMI Gear Problem."

You asked what I accomplished. In @20 minutes I achieved a "temporary" fix, buying myself some time to research my options. I now have a replacement unit on the way with a metal gear already installed for just around $200; in the meantime my vehicle is fully functional, save the obvious movement of the screen, and I can install the replacement at my leisure.

Guys, as I started typing my original post I almost didn't bother because I was already anticipating a purely condescending/demeaning response from s4master1. In his defense he did helpfully include a part number in his actual condescending/demeaning response. Please don't stop posting helpful advice to this forum just because of negative comments, as tempting as it is to do so. And s4master1, I certainly must acknowledge that your posts have been getting generally more helpful and less condescending lately - thank you. You are a great resource when you play nice.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mind hooking us up with a link to where you got the metal gear'd one. Did they send you one with it already installed? Was it a previously broken one that they replaced the gear on and then sold to you? And was the total price of it $200? Or just to have the metal gear mod installed?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Mind hooking us up with a link to where you got the metal gear'd one. Did they send you one with it already installed? Was it a previously broken one that they replaced the gear on and then sold to you? And was the total price of it $200? Or just to have the metal gear mod installed?
Brozee, I got lucky; a forum member PM'd me and let me know that he had a spare (previously broken I'm certain) that already had the metal gear installed.

BTW someone asked earlier if the screen moved around at all in its current state of being forced open - with the screws back in it doesn't budge in the least.

-Mike

Quick Reply: MMI Gear Problem Achieved Temporary Fix