A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok guys quick update..

I looked at a lot of the related posts from many of you and was able to determine that my MMI ver is 1070 wit ha ver 4 Nav.

Is the link to the MMI update for the Ver 4610.? If so is it still a one disk upgrade from ver 1070?

Also forgive my ignorance.. but is it correct that I can only access my hidden menus to restore "lost" items after up date through a Vagcom (sp). If also true i am not sure what that (vagcom) is exactly. I think it is a diagnostic computer. Again if I need to get one of those can it talk to a MAC or do i ned a PC (laptop)?

Sorry for all the newbie questions... still getting my feet wet .... BUT I LOVE the car.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Vag-com and Software update

<a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/?cat=19">How I use my Vag-Com</a> The original dongle is developed and sold by <a href="http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html">ROSS-TECH</a>.

Check CD to make sure if they're for Europe or US -

Search my posts, I did the update from 1190 to 3360 to 4610 - Some said you can update directly from whatever to 4610.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default VAG-COM; other answers

VAG COM is officially known now as VCDS after an Audi/VW trademark dust up w/ the supplier Ross-Tech, but many of us longer time users call it VAG COM. http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/ It is technically an OBD II connector cord that attaches to the standard car OBD II port, but what it really does is as act as a hardware locked dongle cord (as in, you can't just use an eBay knock off) to allow access to their extensive software that mimics the factory/dealer car diagnostic system. A great product.

It does NOT run directly on a Mac. You can try enabling it in Boot Camp. See FAQ 1.8: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.8 In practice what I do as a Mac user is maintain an obsolete XP laptop--something that today would be a virtual give away or hand me down. I have wiped it of everything except Word (to copy and paste read outs), Explorer (to download updates), Ross-Tech's software, and the Bentley manuals for my Audis. Bentley manuals also have the obsolete OS and platform issues.

Yes, you should be able to go all the way from 1070 to 4610; you use the clean up disk included in the two disk set effectively do it without the prior need to do each update sequentially. Folks at sub 1000 versions have sometimes needed additional patches, but you are above that (as expected w/ 2005+).

I think you can set up the car to access the hidden menu from any version, but more generally you can also do the re coding from VAG COM. The hidden menu approach I think kind of developed as a work around to VAG COM. If you intend to own the car any length of time, VAG COM is the first serious tool to buy and a big money saver and guess work eliminator in the longer run.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-30-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mishar, thanks for the Link to the MMI update ($34/w shipping)... Just purchased.

Tim, Thanks for the link to the Nav update ($99)... Just purchased.

MP4... Thanks for the additional information. It looks like I need to get the $350 kit. The KII - USB is not compatible according to the chart, need to get the HEX-USB + CAN . Then I need to go to Walmart and get the cheapest lap top.

To all the others that I did not mention, Thanks for the input and not getting to frustrated with newbie questions.

I will let you all know how it goes after.... Fingers crossed.

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 06-30-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

hi everyone im a newbie and I hope im not hijacking but im trying to identify my software on my 05 A8L. software screen says D3-hu634606.0.0.0413 so is mine old or what? im trying to update it but i get error 179 for mmi. I got pics if it will help someone figure this out.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tallbrotha
hi everyone im a newbie and I hope im not hijacking but im trying to identify my software on my 05 A8L. software screen says D3-hu634606.0.0.0413 so is mine old or what? im trying to update it but i get error 179 for mmi. I got pics if it will help someone figure this out.
If i read that correctly your version is 0600....

after 6346 06.0.0 so that would be 0600

Not sure what has to be done, I am so new to this forum and vehicle that I will not be much help to you until i get a better handle on this very fine automobile.

Dan
Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gaspasser19
I recently updated my nav disk to 2012-13 for $99 shipped. Here's the link:

2012-13 Audi MMI 2G Nav. Disk
$99 for the nav disk sounds like a great deal! Thanks for this!

By the way, do I need to update my MMI to use this disk? I have a 2007 S8, also is this brand new oem disk and not some copied disk right?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dokebi1221
$99 for the nav disk sounds like a great deal! Thanks for this!

By the way, do I need to update my MMI to use this disk? I have a 2007 S8, also is this brand new oem disk and not some copied disk right?
+1, 07 D3 S8 here, will this be compatible with this vehicle and do I need to do anything before installing it? Does the dealer have to install it or can I do it?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dokebi1221
also is this brand new oem disk and not some copied disk right?
I just ordered it so I am not 100% certain, but when it gets here I will post its condition. The site says that the disks are original (NEW/Used)

So that to me means that you may get a overstocked new one or a traded in "Used" one. The site also said that they guaranteed the disk to be free of scratches or you can TRADE it in for a new one.

The Only time you can get a refund is if THEY send a disk you did not order ie . They send you the wrong disk.

From the other posts on this thread i gather that the Nav disk will work on older MMi version but that if you update the MMI then you WILL need Nav version 5 or higher. Ie, MMI updates can not use Older Nav data, Not sure why.

Dan
Old 07-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s8maestro
+1, 07 D3 S8 here, will this be compatible with this vehicle and do I need to do anything before installing it? Does the dealer have to install it or can I do it?
Not sure about the capability, the previous version on the site (Ver2010) does say that it is compatible with S8 (See the site link again)

As far as I can tell (from the very knowledgeable people here) you just put the disk in. If I am wrong about this PLEASE SOME ONE CORRECT ME.

It is the MMI update that looks to be a bit more time consuming and critical to maintain voltage during the upload.

Dan

Quick Reply: MMI Navigation Upgrade