A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI screen and controllers not responding

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI screen and controllers not responding

So my MMI is completely dead now and I'm upset because i just got the car a month ago why me

Cd player has power and Nav has power. The controllers and screen is dead and i get a Service on start-up
Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Not sure I follow, but try three button reset and MMI key cleaning

I don't follow exactly what the problem is, but sounds like screen isn't on. Not sure what you mean by the service on start up, but if that is in instrument area, that is probably just the every 10K (9K the way the system is set) warning to get car serviced. That has nothing to do with MMI if it is what I am guessing you may be trying to describe.

First two things when screen is dead are to try to reset system with the three button method. Search if need more info or look in MMI manual. Also, clean around all MMI console keys, looking especially for food junk, threads and other debris that can be jamming a key. Press each one to make sure it seems to click down and come back. Any locked or jammed key can make system flake out.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorry to hear about that.

So, are you asking for help with it or are you taking it in to a service shop soon? If you are asking for help; are you mechanically inclined or familiar with automotive electric circuit troubleshooting techniques?

Do you have the Ross-Tech diagnostic interface and software loaded on a PC to do a diagnostic scan? Do you have a Bentley or Erwin or Elsa service manual?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Hope it's the same problem that I had...

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/mmi-acting-up-experts-please-help-2867744/">It worried me greatly until I found the problem, simple thing</a>.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-07-2014, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If the fuse is OK, cleaning and reset don't help VCDS scan should. Including optic ring scan. If the ring is broken or one of modules in it is dead system won't work at all.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I don't follow exactly what the problem is, but sounds like screen isn't on. Not sure what you mean by the service on start up, but if that is in instrument area, that is probably just the every 10K (9K the way the system is set) warning to get car serviced. That has nothing to do with MMI if it is what I am guessing you may be trying to describe.

First two things when screen is dead are to try to reset system with the three button method. Search if need more info or look in MMI manual. Also, clean around all MMI console keys, looking especially for food junk, threads and other debris that can be jamming a key. Press each one to make sure it seems to click down and come back. Any locked or jammed key can make system flake out.
I mean my screen is blank and my buttons are not on. no response at all from it
Old 12-07-2014, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 3 button reset

whats the 3 button reset? need to know the buttons exactly
Old 12-07-2014, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Please search.

Either you can do it, or I can. It's not a very memorable sequence and at some point it gets pretty old when the poster doesn't do some homework first, especially when given the direct pointer to it. Thus: www.google.com; insert site:audiworld.com into search string if you want to focus here. And then frankly hitting it more since I was thorough in the first reply, what about the MMI owner's manual? Did you check? (seems like not). Do you have one? More generally, as is coming through in some of the replies, if you want to maintain a D3, expect to invest in a VAG COM/VCDS cable, a Bentley or similar manual, and obviously have the owners and MMI manuals.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-07-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

teamelevation, you get one freebie because you asked nicely. View the first video in the list. After this, please search before asking. More importantly, buy the genuine Ross Tech diagnostic interface for your PC and a Bentley service manual. Trust the experience here.

copy/paste this in your browser: Let me google that for you

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-08-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^LMGTFY is one of the greatest sites ever.

Quick Reply: MMI screen and controllers not responding