A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI update & AudioPilot--data bus problem...paging Igball & Rowlie

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default MMI update & AudioPilot--data bus problem...paging Igball & Rowlie

Several of us have noticed an apparent problem w/ the AudioPilot sound compensation following updating MMI to the current rev.

By chance I was poking around Bentley to see if there were any new TSB's in general. Well, I came across an old TSB that seems to read directly on the problem. TSB 91-05-11. Issued 6/21/05. Applies to A8 and A8L from 2004 to 2006.

The TSB says the condition is "The sound drops to a lower volume when accelerating from a stop. Volume increases then with the vehicle speed. When stopping the vehicle, the sound jumps to a higher volume." Not the best English as written, but it sure sounds like the problem to me.

It says the fix is the software for the MOST data bus has to be updated. If it is at software level 0020 or 0030 it needs to be updated to 0040 using some CD the dealership is supposed to have (CD W42A8317).

I looked at module 19 via VAG COM which appears to be the data bus, but really couldn't figure much out, other than I see coding dates that look like when the module was manufactured--they pre date my car's build date. The engine coding is also grayed out, suggesting perhaps that it is at a very basic default mode. Per the service training publications, AudioPilot compensation is supposed to vary by engine type.

I can't be sure this is the issue because I can't be definitive what data bus software my car has. But it definitely says there is a relationship between MMI updating and possible AudioPilot problems, and it gives me a TSB to have the dealer look into next time I am in for service.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MMI update & AudioPilot--data bus problem...paging Igball & Rowlie

thanks for the info. Mine's going in to get a trim piece replaced and I'll share this with the service dept. I'm glad I'm not alone and really appreciate your research. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the update. The MOST network is the fiber optic network that runs throughout the car. When I ran my update disk, I noticed that there was a softkey for MOST - I may put the disk back in and see what that is. I've just turned Audio Pilot off for now and don't really miss it all that much.

Be interesting to here what Rowlie finds out.

LGB
Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for posting this information. I took it to the dealer with me and it seems to have solved the problem. Yeah!!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm fighting with my dealer (sigh) over the Audiopilot issue after the MMI update. Can someone please email me TSB 91-05-11 so I can show it to the dealer. I know they should have it, but they are being total jerks about this.

Thanks!

email is lgball_at_yahoo_dot_com
Old 12-18-2007, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just printed out the post from AudiWorld and gave it to the dealer.

It seems to me that coming to a dealer with this much information to begin with is doing a big part of their job. They should look it up.

If they don't or can't, perhaps some urging from the Audi A8 advocate is in order.