A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my A8L was on a flat bed today-long and sad

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my A8L was on a flat bed today-long and sad

Had to drive to Harrisburg PA today (2.25hr drive)
had a quarter tank, topped off with Shell V-power at the local station. Drove to Harrisburg-was in a meeting for an hour. Got back in car and fired up to see check engine light. Turned her off and restarted, check engine light. She was idling fine, accelerated fine, chalked it up to 140K and a long drive. About 20 minutes into the drive on the turnpike going about 80MPH- hit the accelerator and she would bog down, no acceleration. When I got deeper into it, she would accelerate hard. Drove about another hour like this and got off the turnpike only to hit the toll and no acceleration from 15MPH. Check engine light started flashing so I pulled over and shut her down. Waited about 15 minutes and when I fired it up, she would only limp. Had a tow to my mechanic. What do you think? bad gas? coil? vac leak? I'm waiting for the call tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like a fuel pump. The right side one.

Last edited by mishar; 12-03-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default fuel pump

Originally Posted by mishar
Sounds like a fuel pump. The right side one.
2nd.
I put my money on the driver's side (US)
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

vacuum leak- picking car up tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I know it is not practical depending on where you are etc, but running a diagnostic scan would have probably indicated this. I usually carry an old pc with a serial port and my Ross Tech cable on road trips.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

when I pick the car up tomorrow, I will let you guys know the part that failed.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

My wife had a similar situation on her '92 VW Passat. Intake air leak on a thick molded rubber part between the air cleaner box and intake manifold. On the 4.2's, most of these parts are plastic. Of course they can crack or the air cleaner box could have been misaligned and eventually opened up as it sucks in a lot of air.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tow trucks suck ** I left my baby in the hands of tow operator he doesn't use the tow hook puts j chains around control arms rips my level sensor arm off bends the bracket and my ignition is as loose as hookers u know what..not that I know how loose that is hahaha.. just kidding.yeah key was in ignition no batty power he tryed to pull the key out I wish I was there to run his a$$ over a couple times with his own towtruck..never again will I get towed without being there
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4RINGkingA8L
Tow trucks suck ** I left my baby in the hands of tow operator he doesn't use the tow hook puts j chains around control arms rips my level sensor arm off bends the bracket and my ignition is as loose as hookers u know what..not that I know how loose that is hahaha.. just kidding.yeah key was in ignition no batty power he tryed to pull the key out I wish I was there to run his a$$ over a couple times with his own towtruck..never again will I get towed without being there
I am always worried about this. The operator that showed up was very smooth and took care of her. I set the car in lift mode because I could picture the tailpipes scrapping. He wrapped straps around the wheels.

I took the ride with him, and yes, they drive like there is no car on the back- fast and jerky.

Glad to have her back
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced the passenger side fuel pump and the car is working like new but there were different symptoms. In our case, you would start the car and let it idle and every time after 30 seconds, the car would just stall out and die. That is unless you would put your foot down and kicked the rpm's up over at least 3,500 rpm

Quick Reply: my A8L was on a flat bed today-long and sad