A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my solution for the parking(city/standing)light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you elaborate on what function changing it to US or why it's better to change it to ROW? I'm guessing you just want your city lights to be on when the "daytime running lights" option is enabled in the MMI?

Also bally, was going to txt you, but what is a good tire pressure to set the tires at. I heard something like 36 up front 34 in back? Don't mean to thread hijack; just a side note.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Just change your Country code to US or, better still, ROW (Rest Of World) using the diagnostic software.
I am already at ROW and my DRL's are HID's.

ROW makes flash lights (halogens closer to the middle of the car) to work as high beam together with HID's.

Canada setting use fog lights as DRL's. I don't like that since I have HID's there too.

Best DRL's where on the old Ford. They used high beam bulbs at 40% power. They can last forever at that load and they are not used much anyways.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Can you elaborate on what function changing it to US or why it's better to change it to ROW? I'm guessing you just want your city lights to be on when the "daytime running lights" option is enabled in the MMI?

Also bally, was going to txt you, but what is a good tire pressure to set the tires at. I heard something like 36 up front 34 in back? Don't mean to thread hijack; just a side note.
Brozee, The pressure sticker shows different values for loaded vs. unloaded. I sometimes have the car fully loaded, and sometimes it is just little old me and mable a duffel bag and my laptop. I'm not big on adjusting tire pressures based on load so I average out the suggested pressures between loaded & empty. For the 19" wheels and tires I use in the summer; 38 psi all around and for the 17" wheels and tires I use in the winter; 36 psi all around. Since you rum 18" wheels, according to the sticker, 17" and 18" wheels have the same pressure specs. Not sure if the pressure specs are different for the standard wheelbase A8's.

Those pressures have never let me down and I sometimes do some pretty extreme maneuvers with the car.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I am already at ROW and my DRL's are HID's.

ROW makes flash lights (halogens closer to the middle of the car) to work as high beam together with HID's.

Canada setting use fog lights as DRL's. I don't like that since I have HID's there too.

Best DRL's where on the old Ford. They used high beam bulbs at 40% power. They can last forever at that load and they are not used much anyways.
My bad; I thought Canada setting keeps the high beam halogens on at 40% as DRL's like your Ford did. Thus making the "parking Lights" not noticeable since the headlights are also lit.

My Beetle came with Daytime Running Lights which kept either the high or low beam at about 60% brightness so ther was no parking light function. Even though I'm a yankee. I took care of that by installing a Euro headlamp switch that allows parking lights only in place of DRL's and allows the fog lights to be switched on with only parking lights illuminated.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't buy this LED's. Both died in about 15 minutes. Chinese garbage.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was worried when you posted them.

Very similar ones nearly burnt down a friend's BMW...
Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thought that would happen. They looked very cheap and had way too many LED's on it anyway.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No and no

They don't LOOK cheep at all and they have exact number of LED's to consume 5W. Otherwise you need a resistor to avoid faulty code. They are just poor quality. I wonder if they are manufacturing them for some serious world company and those they are selling directly are some rejects. I really like the amount of light they produce.

Leftovers:

Reminders:

Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend of mine tried a bunch of these on his C5 A6 4.2, and quickly came to the same conclusion.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, mishar, that's a bummer!!

Were you able to get the pieces out?

Quick Reply: my solution for the parking(city/standing)light