A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My transmission is "chirping"

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont worry Vin....that issue crept up around 30000Km...took the car on numerous road trips and put bout 70K km more on her...it only happens in D or S..manual its perfectly fine for me.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got a call from my friendly local Audi dealer and he informed me that the "hoot" can be fixed but not under CPO. According to him it is covered under original warranty only. How can I check on the accuracy of this? I left Audi four years ago over this kind of stuff and now I'm kicking myself for coming back.

Thanks,

Sailfish
Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Transmission update

The best thing was to have the TSB in hand at the dealership. At first I was told that it wouldn't be covered under CPO. After three calls to AoA and four emails they decided to fix my issue under warranty. The guys at my local dealership were instrumental in getting Audi to cover my issue. I got my car back yesterday and the issue is resolved. My faith in Audi customer service has been restored. If anyone else has this issue and is under warranty, don't take no for an answer. Thanks to everyone that helped me and provided the proper TSB information. You saved me over $1k.

Sailfish
Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey all I recently purchased my first Audi and I am noticing a similar sound around 5th gear shifts but it is sporadic--- I read the TSB, but if I do not flush the teams will I harm anything ? It makes no mention is slipping-- I'm not sure the 1000+ flush is worth it to relieve a small hooting sound_ right ?!?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well you bought an expensive car, and it doesn't perform right; you tell me. I would get it changed at a normal trans shop with normal synthetic advanced fluid for $200 instead. After paying more than $$$$ at the dealer myself I wish I just had it changed elsewhere for around the price I stated at a well known trans shop.

Last edited by Brozee; 03-05-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Well you bought an expensive car, and it doesn't perform right; you tell me. I would get it changed at a normal trans shop with normal synthetic advanced fluid for $200 instead. After paying more than $$$$ at the dealer myself I wish I just had it changed elsewhere for around the price I stated at a well known trans shop.
Right, but is the blue stuff required to eliminate the noise? $200 seems waaaay too cheap, no ?!? Btw nice car I have the same car but with amaretto interior

Thanks for the help
-Constantino
Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The blue is guaranteed to fix it. But no it's. It's not required. My buddy took his to our local trans shop who does work on German cars and had it replaced with something very similar if not the same as the amsoil equivalent. Been working just fine with no hoot for 40k. When they replace the fluid with blue they also update your trans computer to accommodate for the new fluid. My buddy as well as others also didn't do this and it fixed their issue. Doesn't hurt to try it after all it will save you $800-1500.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original fix for the hoot noise was to change the OEM ATF 3 times. Drain normally, fill, drive 20 miles, drain, fill, drive 20 miles, drain, then fill and road test it and release the car. Most techs reported the noise was gone on the first drain and refill, if not, by the second drain and fill. ZF then came out with newer fluid with different friction additives and that required different software to go with it. That repair only needd a drain and fill one time I believe.

AFAIK, if you just drain the transmission or drop the pan and replace the filter and refill, the noise will most likely go away. I believe ZF feels it's not a long term solution, so they came up with different ATF and software as the repair.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Is that software available?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mishar
Is that software available?
Audi dealers usually have the software as well as ZF rebuilders. Not sure how or if anyone has flashed the Mechatronics with VAG-COM. I would have to find out if anyone has tried it though.

Quick Reply: My transmission is "chirping"