A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name That Part! Hood Joint Cover Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Name That Part! Hood Joint Cover Edition

So I had the front end all apart to replace a cracked carrier and do some other maintenance work. I finally got everything done, but while putting things back together I ended up with extra parts and I hate extra parts!! I have two black plastic "covers" that go somewhere on the front end/hood/radiator/bumper. I have spent an hour trying every spot I could think of and I can not find where these things go. If anyone has an idea of what these are and where the go I would greatly appreciate it. I found the parts diagrams for them but the description was less than helpful. Parts are pictured below.

Part numbers are 4E2823772B (right side) and 4E1823771B (left side). They are listed as a "Joint Cover" and show up in the hood parts diagram. ebay calls it a "Bonnet Release Cable Cover Trim". Any help in figuring out this puzzle would be appreciated.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Don't have my car here, but up along the side seams where the inner fender meets the sheet metal fender you see? That is, just below the side of the hood/bonnet where the bolts hold down the fender. The hood cable routes through there, which is probably the parts diagram reference. It's been a while, but they might be as far back as almost the hood hinges near base of A pillar. In any case somewhere along those fender seams IIRC.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 AM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are air directors for the cooling system Go on side of radiator between radiator and bumper. longer ones on bottom and the shorter ones, those, ones on top.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DA8
Those are air directors for the cooling system Go on side of radiator between radiator and bumper. longer ones on bottom and the shorter ones, those, ones on top.
I definitely think you are on to something as I remember them going somewhere on or near the radiator. However for the life of me I still can't figure out where! I only have two covers - a right and a left. The pictures above are multiples of the same item. If anyone has a picture/diagram/better idea of where they go please let me know.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Or if anyone can point it out in the picture below that would be great too. I figure they have to go somewhere around there.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:30 AM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know. Your last pic shows an air intake on the right, so looks like your V10 has a bit different parts than my 4.2. It looks pretty good overall, based on that I just put mine back together last night so it is fresh in my memory. I take pictures as I disassemble so I can remember any goofy details that go out of my short term memory. Those little fin parts you first posted don't look familiar to me now that I look closely at them. You need someone who has close familiarity like me who also has the V10.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I weould stop in my local Audi dealer and ask the parts guy. If he doesn't know a tech in the shop will.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your first pic they sit on top of the air intake guide - look on the sides of the air intake deflectors - there should be some notches or grooves where the plastic pieces just kind of sits/snaps into place
Old 06-05-2017, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

At first glance, I thought you had mounted a couple Colt 1911s it the grille
Old 06-05-2017, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Is it under the "#3" characters on this diagram?

(page 21 of the manual pages -- not the PDF pages, bottom diagram)

Edit: Your file of 5.52 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 5.00 MB for this filetype.(link)

Hope that works

Last edited by aTOMic; 06-05-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Name That Part! Hood Joint Cover Edition