A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation System...Are you kidding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System...Are you kidding?

Just finishing up choosing what goodies to order on my new A8 when a friend who just received his new A6 says "don't order the Nav system, it is worthless". To make a very long story short:

1. the nav system in his A6 has unbelivably incomplete data for our moderate sized NE Ohio town. I mean it is missing MAIN roads that have been there 100 years.
2. the routing system takes you on laughable routes to main intersections and destinations
3. the dealer response is "we'll call Navtech and ask if there is a new disc"

I searched the threads here and found many less than satisfied individuals.

Question: Is the A8 nav system the same? (dealer didn't know) and is there any chance of this improving soon? I can't believe this would be my "deal breaker" but i would use nav a lot and i cannot have such a poor system (especially on a 75k car!). My family members 4 year old LS400 has complete data of our town and a much better routing system.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-17-2005, 09:29 AM

Default I would imagine it depends on your location. My experience with my

recent cars (all 04's)
A8L- dvd system and found it just fine
Phaeton0 cd system, inferior in all regards

Now, if you want a good Nav system, buy Japanese. The Acura RL, Lexus, Toyota excellant systems.

Or, if must buy a German car, consider a off market system for less then $1,000 that I see here in the forums is excellant and perhaps superior to all of the auto systems.. sorry.. .can't recall manurfacturer. I think I saw it discussed however in the VWvortex-Phaeton forum.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:32 AM

thanks Mr. Ricco, I'll look into it. (nt)
Old 02-17-2005, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hmmm thats odd.....

I would have thought they use very similar datasets since the nav head units are all made by the same company. (follow the link to see what i mean) It could be a matter of comparing a lexus dvd to a an audi one, and swapping datasets. Click on summary for illustrations...<ul><li><a href="http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/eng/s/cn/frame_cn.html">http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/eng/s/cn/frame_cn.html</a</li></ul>
Old 02-17-2005, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gee..my little nav lady tells me exactly when I drive up my drive way....

"you have reached your destination". It even has the neew sub-division next to mine called Stratford Ct. that's less than a year old.

PS - Interesting....Yahoo using NAVTEQ..see lower right hand section of weblink. Is that one in the same as Nav Tech.<ul><li><a href="http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=tXmRL.p_0TqC_I8acaW1rXbhhYJsLNNjCB7 hRCDpePCcnA--&amp;csz=30350&amp;country=us&amp;new=1&amp;name=& amp;qty=">http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=tXmRL.p_0TqC_I8acaW1rXbhhYJsLNNjCB7 hRCDpePCcnA--&am
Old 02-17-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Like I said, it depends on where you live. . . both systems go "black" when

I exit I5 on the way to the Compound. Text says something like; "no detail available."
Old 02-17-2005, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Like I said, it depends on where you live. . . both systems go "black" when

Too many pine trees and all those tunnels going up to the "compound" - no wonder !!
Old 02-17-2005, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I thought it would "white-out" since Mr Ricco has so much snow up there on the mountain.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Gee..my little nav lady tells me exactly when I drive up my drive way....

Good to hear. I'm going back to the dealer next week to "investigate". I want this car!!
Old 02-17-2005, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends on your location. At my family home..

in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago the coverage / accuracy is excellent. Restaurant data is, however, highly incomplete.
In central Illinois where I work during the week, the data is as you describe. The data is supplied by Navteq and I have the latest update.

Quick Reply: Navigation System...Are you kidding?