A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation System...Are you kidding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I also find that the data is incomplete for certain medium to small towns. I think that

this has to do with the fact that it is a DVD based system (1 DVD for the country as opposed to the prior systems that provided a large # of CD's for sections of the country). In reducing the data to 1 DVD for the entire U.S., the system is easier to load and use but does not provide as complete a data set as the CD systems do.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Honda, Infiniti, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Niss

CHICAGO, Sept. 17 - Already producing the most widely-used digital map database in the world, Navigation Technologies Corporation today announced an unprecedented 3.56 million-mile upgrade of NAVTECH® digital map data. This upgrade delivers full coverage of 5.3 million miles of roadway in the continental U.S. NAVTECH data is currently harnessed by all U.S. automotive navigation systems, seven of 10 European car brands and the majority of leading Internet, Wireless and PDA (personal digital assistant) digital map applications from MapQuest and Microsoft Expedia to Garmin's Street Pilot. Existing automotive partners offering in-vehicle navigation systems include Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Honda, Infiniti, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Porsche, Toyota and Volvo.

``In anticipation of rapid growth in both vehicle navigation and location-based services, Navigation Technologies has invested significant company resources in the expansion of North American coverage,'' said John MacLeod, Executive Vice President, North America and World Markets, Navigation Technologies. ``As a result of this expansion, NAVTECH data will enable a digital view of the entire continental US that includes the Detailed City Coverage we're already known for providing. This advance means Vehicle, GIS, Fleet Enterprise and Internet, Wireless and PDA markets can now offer comprehensive routing and navigation systems to consumers and businesses alike.''

``This enhancement of the NAVTECH database will allow us to provide even better coverage for the DVD navigation systems we offer in Honda and Acura vehicles,'' said Dan Bonawitz, Vice President, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. ``With 100% coverage, our marketing potential greatly increases as does customer satisfaction.''
Old 02-17-2005, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Residential compound is above the tree line?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:39 PM

Default when can i get this?

is this already available? or when will it be available for the A8?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Hmmm, but..

the Lexus system is a DVD system and seems to have a MUCH more data. It seems to have most of the small county roads in the boonies around this area. and this is in a 4 year old system.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: when can i get this?

The latest disk is still missing significant coverage of non-urban areas. This is the fault of VW/Audi and not Navteq as the data is available but VW/Audi chooses not to purchase it. The A8L's DVD Nav is a good unit with POOR data (my wife's CD-based Touareg Nav is even worse). I just bought a new BMW 330xi with Nav and the coverage is significantly better than it was in the Audi and BMW uses Navteq for its data.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As does the Acura system.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:23 PM

Default my solution..

Amazing. somehow it is bothering me to buy a "luxury" sedan with "state of the art" technology that doesn't have my home address in it's database! Tough to show the nav off when everyone is laughing that it can't even find your home. I guess i'll just set my "home" as a big building in Cleveland and just remember the way home. :}
Old 02-17-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Situated about 300 feet above sealevel. . . 100 foot vertical cliff 23 feet from

from front deck. .. bought here for the "security" after I inadvertently represented Jimmy The Weasel (heard PA mobsters were afraid of heights). Very mild winters out here the last few years. . . noticed a big change in the weather (ever since man first stepped on the moon). . . probably would be considered "the country" by most of you but it really isn't any more.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: my solution..

JPerk, Do you in leave in the Cleveland area? If so, where are getting your new car? I ordered one from Sunnyside and got a great deal, loaded. Just curious.

05 A8L, Northern blue/cream
Convenience Pkg/Cold Weather Pkg/
Door Assit/Sirus Radio/Wood Wheel/18" 9 Spoke Wheels/Parktronic/Prem Stitching/Rear seat controls/

Quick Reply: Navigation System...Are you kidding?