A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Dead A8

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you fixed the issue!

But at the same time I do remember the time when I've tried to replace the fuel pump on my old Audi V8, 1991. I can tell you that is not pleasant experience at all!!! To smell a gas for half an hour or so is not fun at all. And the most scared thing is potential explosion. Somehow I "managed" to drop a wrench to the almost empty tank. I do not know why spark has not been produced and why it was not exploded, but that moment I realized I would probably try to avoid that type of activity next time.

And Thanks a lot for the sharing your experience!

Just tell us a little more how complex to change the fuel filter on A8? And what is the torque?
Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 AM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is an easy job following the Bentley manual instructions. I ran into no difficulty with the process. You got to mark hoses like the manual says to avoid confusion. But don't use tape where it is exposed to gas because it will disintegrate. I had a piece of masking tape fall in the bottom of the tank and did not notice it until I had the fuel pump in there. Then I had to pick it out with some long needle nose pliers. I recommend taking a photo of wiring too because there is one wire connection that you could get wrong.

The only reason someone could not do it is if they did not purchase the special lock ring tool. This cost $50 from Audi and another $50 in overnight freight because it is not a stock part. You have to have this to remove the lock rings that seal the flanges to the top of the tank where access is.

Disconnect battery, keep fire ext handy and someone keeping an eye on you, you need a spark-less flashlight. You have to remove everything from the trunk including spare in order to really get in there. Tank REALLY should be less than 1/3 full. You could do it with fuel in the tank, but that would really complicate things and make fire hazard much higher.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, I've done it before on the different car Same process... or at least almost the same.

Also I would disagree on the fact if you have 1/3 tank of fuel it is safer than full tank. In theory the fuel is hard to ignite if it does not have the oxygen. So, when you have 1/3 tank the gas evaporating like crazy as it has much bigger area to evaporate if you compare the same with full tank.

And that's what I was afraid. If anything happened the explosion from almost empty tank will be noticeable and fire extinguisher will not help in that case. And yet, the full tank virtually will not be able to explode, just fire. But on empty tank it is easy to work...

Anyway, been there, done that, but just afraid of fire
Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have any of you guys done this on a D2? I know that procedure pretty well and posted a video on youtube. I just picked up an '05 yesterday and noticed a pretty loud buzzing while I was putting the car on the lift.

It sounds like it's easier in the D3 than the D2 but curious if anyone has firsthand knowledge. Car has almost 100k so I might do it proactively.

Bob