A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MMI unit but no fix.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New MMI unit but no fix.....

My dealer received the new MMI main control unit today and installed it in my 05---same result---intermittent MMI screen function that comes and goes for no particular reason. Audi Tech Line has been no help as they haven't seen this before. The A8 technician is shaking his head and talking about possibly having to tear apart the car to completely re-wire the fiber optics. The dealer (service manager, general manager, and sales guy) knows I don't want the car if they're going to rip it apart. They agree and said I'll either get another new car or a check. I love the car so I'd order another one.

I did get my hopes up that the new MMI unit would be the fix..

By the way there are a couple of new Audi tech bulletins that came out today regarding some defective navigation DVD's. Certain DVD serial numbers are involved. Check with your dealer to see if yours needs to be replaced.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, sorry to hear this gb

I hope you go for a new A8 and that Audi steps up and locates one that exactly matches what you want. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Rest In Peace

Default These MMI problems must be an NA localisation issue

I've driven at least 7 D3s and not a single one has exhibited the kinds of MMI problems you guys seem to have a lot of. Perhaps it's something to do with Onstar integration? Is it standard fit in all NA D3s?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Yes Onstar is standard in NA...I do not care for it...

I wish Audi had left it option like on all models or used a different system like BMW and MB. It has some integration with the MMI but not much.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Funny, I bet it's a simple problem

There has to be a simple fix, just nobody has found the problem yet.

pw
Old 09-07-2004, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Next step is an Audi Zen Master Technician...

As of early this evening, my Audi service manager left a message about trying to get an Audi Regional Master Technician flown in to solve the problem. I hope you're right in that it's a simple fix. If this next step doesn't do it, the new one goes on order by the end of this week.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You may be right--they also want to blame the nav. system

The first suspect area of the MMI was the navigation DVD. That wasn't the issue. No one's mentioned OnStar as a potential problem although it was officially activate in the car on Friday afternoon before I took it home for the weekend. It was activated with no problem.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Deadline is Friday for the fix or a new one gets ordered

I've been an Audi driver since '87 and the local dealer has always been very good to me whether it's for parts, service, or a new vehicle. I feel this will be taken care of either by Audi or a combination of my dealer and Audi. If my dealer doesn't go to bat for me (I have absolutely no indication they won't), I'll be very surprised.

Interestingly, I've never been contacted by my so-called "Audi Advocate". Maybe they know what's going on with this vehicle and they don't want to call me. Does anyone know how long after the purchase they contact you to introduce themselves?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Brought my baby home on March 31, 2004...

I have not been contacted by an advocate, or asked whether I want one. Maybe it has something to do with who your dealer is, we've bought 4 new Audis from our dealer in the last 5 years, so I think they are quite interested in keeping us happy

Too bad that your A8 came with this annoying bug, good thing you have remained calm and have lots of faith in your dealer. I've had a few things come up with my A8L, but I love my car so much that I'm willing to put up with a little bit of discomfort.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:09 PM

Default When I called to inquire....

my advocate said she was going down the list of A8 Clients that had not been set up and the phone numbers provided to them were incorrect. I know they werent because I did the transaction myself.

Quick Reply: New MMI unit but no fix.....