A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner bluetooth install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner bluetooth install question

Good Morning all - I've just bought a 2005 A8 W12 (only 57000 chauffeur driven kms), which I should get in a couple of days, having made much use of these forums to research the car before buying. Thanks to all for a hugely informative site.

I've read a large number of posts regarding MMI updates and phone/bluetooth problems, particularly as I intend to fit the AMI and remove the factory installed 'phone to replace it with a bluetooth module, but am unclear on one particular part of the procedure. Do I need to a) physically remove the old 'phone module or b) disconnect it and bypass it - does this mean simply reconnecting the cables without the module or fitting a bypass cable? Sorry - don't have the car yet so can't check for myself.

The MMI is already at version 5150, so no major requirement to udpate - anything much to be gained by installing 5570? Can't find a changelist.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, also meant to ask - have ordered a vag com cable from ross tech - I understand that bluetooth needs to be enabled in software. Should I do this before or after removing the built in 'phone? Do I need to "remove" the built-in phone's software before doing so? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If your car has on-star then more than likely it doesn't have bluetooth. But but, yours is a W12 so it almost positively should have the bluetooth phone function built in and ready to go without you needing to do anything. Not really worth upgrading to 5570 that was just the last small incremental increase released shortly after 5150. So overall you should be set without having to "remove or disable anything".
Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply - the less to do the better! I understood though that the onstar and bluetooth could not co-exist, system could not cope with the idea of having more than one 'phone?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

A US model 2005 W12 would certainly have bluetooth as On-star was only in the 2004 US D3's. You mentioned km and euro SW version 5150 so I can't be sure when they moved to bluetooth on the non-US models. I would think they'd have bluetooth by 2005 as the D3's started with 2003 MY in UK/Europe.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default debut of bluetooth in 2005 m/y

Originally Posted by ModestW12
A US model 2005 W12 would certainly have bluetooth as On-star was only in the 2004 US D3's.
Actually, bluetooth was added to the D3 during the midyear refresh of the 2005 model year, so if the car was built in the first half of the 2005 m/y it has Onstar, and if it was built in the second half it has bluetooth (at least for North American vehicles). W12's usually debut the latest new technologies before they're available on the V8, so I'd bet that the vehicle in question has bluetooth. Simple test is to see if there is an Onstar button on the rear view mirror.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:16 PM
BRK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have a 03/05 build and it has BT

Originally Posted by subit0
Actually, bluetooth was added to the D3 during the midyear refresh of the 2005 model year, so if the car was built in the first half of the 2005 m/y it has Onstar, and if it was built in the second half it has bluetooth (at least for North American vehicles). W12's usually debut the latest new technologies before they're available on the V8, so I'd bet that the vehicle in question has bluetooth. Simple test is to see if there is an Onstar button on the rear view mirror.
Granted it doesn't really work (1070 MMI version is most likely the issue) but its there....
Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

'Morning all - as I live in the middle east, the car is a "european edition" - don't have the specs for it but it definitely has the 'phone handset in the armrest and no bluetooth installed (according to the dealer). Whether it is enabled in the MMI or not remains to be seen.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a 2005 manufactured W12 also, sold 19.7.2005, as MY2006 (at least the VIN says 6 for model year).

No onstar button on the rearview mirror (actually no buttons, only the light sensor), and it has the Motorola phone in the armrest.

My Nokia N95 and friends Iphone4 find the audi phone BT, but aren't able to connect.

Tried with firmware 1190, and upgraded to 5150, the upgrade removed the function to even connect another phone than the Motorola. Or then i've just not read the f*kin manual again.

The N95 was able to find, and be found by the MMI, but the Iphone didn't do any co-operation at all with the MMI.

What could 100% sure tell me if my car has a built-in BT module, and where is a list of supported phones?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
What could 100% sure tell me if my car has a built-in BT module, and where is a list of supported phones?
VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) will show a Handyvorb at address 77.

Not sure where/if there is a list of supported phones, but the iPhone does work - that's what I use.

Did you run the "cleanup" disc after the upgrade ?
I have read that it fixes things like bluetooth.

Quick Reply: New Owner bluetooth install question