A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie A8 questions ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie A8 questions ...

Hello,

I am considering a Audi A8 (not L) as my new car. I am very lucky in that my local dealer has a 2005 A8 with only 3400 miles on it in the colors that I want ... so I am close to getting it.

A few questions:

- I notice that whereas all of the other audi models have moved to the horrible waterfall/vertical/whatever front end design, the A8 has not. I am very happy about this, but I wonder:

1. Is the 2005 a8 also the vertical/waterfall design, but just so understated, or wide, that I just don't notice it ?

OR

2. Are they going to come out with the vertical/waterfall design on the 2006 A8s ? God I hope not.

Second, is the audi a8 known for very very weak lumbar support ? Or is the model I am looking at just functioning poorly ? I adjusted the lumbar support from max to min back and forth a dozen times, and every time it maxes out at a very very shallow level. Very disappointing. Any comments on this ?

Third, there is the adjustment on the seat where the seat bends back and forth from halfway up the seat - that is, it flexes forward and back in the middle of the seat - again, was mine malfunctioning, or does it really not go backwards very far with that adjustment ? It flexes forward quite a ways (not useful - strange that it even moves that way) but does not move backward past neutral at all ... which is what you would want if you are trying to get a good open-spined back posture ...

Any comments appreciated.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: newbie A8 questions ...

2005 was the last year for the split frame grill. 2006 4.2's have the single frame grill.

Did you move the lumbar up and down? It is a 4 way switch. I personally do not use the lumbar adjustment.

The shoulder adjustment only moves forward from center. If it moved rearward, this could cause severe head and neck injuries in an accident.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 2005 A8 has the "old" nose and the 2006 has the new Audi nose. At first I did not like the new nose but I am starting to like it now that I have seen it on many new models. Get an '05 if you prefer the old design.

BTW, if the A8 you are looking at has OnStar, then it does not have the new Bluetooth built-in. The switch to BT happened in late 2004 during the MY2005 production cycle.

As for the lumbar support, I think that is a very personal thing. The range of motion for the lumbar support far exceeds what I need. Keep playing with the seat adjustment - it takes a while to find the combination of settings that is most comfortable.

The '05 A8 is a great car, probably handles better than my '05 A8L. Post some pics once you have closed the deal!
Old 08-06-2005, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, understood. It's sort of a catch-22 for me ... on the one hand, I despise the new audi front end (really, that's not even a strong enough word for it ...) and as a non-audi owner/devotee, I have no particular incentive or propensity to "get used to it" or have it "grow on me".

But on the other hand, I fine equally distasteful driving a non-current body style of a particular car. I don't mind not having the absolute latest model year, provided that they are essentially identical, but I just cannot stand having "the older model".

So that leaves me kind of stuck. Maybe I can get over it and get the 2005 ... it is so beautiful - so classy and understated with such wonderful lines. How they could have possibly wrecked it by slapping on that terrible grill is difficult to understand. I am sure you are all longtime audi fans/devotees/etc., so your debate over the grill takes on a different tone. Take it now, from me, someone who has had no previous connection with audi, and has no particular affinity for them one way or another: the new grill is terrible. Laughable, even.

As for the lumbar, count yourself lucky that you don't need it. I have a bulging disk that gives me very little trouble, except when sitting for a long period of time. The difference between comfortably getting out of a car after a 4-5 hour trip, and painfully getting out is a deep and large lumbar support. I played with it for 15 minutes or so. It's just not very good.

And finally, the mid-seat pitch adjustment - I had not considered what that would be like in an accident - all I had considered was that the new range rover _does_ allow you to go backwards with it (to a certain degree) and it was _heaven_ (combined with a good lumbar support) ... so it was conspicuously absent from the audi.

Any other comments appreciated ... but even if I can get over having a non-current body (even though I like the non-current one best) I am not sure I can live with the anemic lumbar support.

thanks.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

actually, out of curiousity, when do the 2006 A8s come out ?

My dealer today only had the single used 2005 A8, and did not even have a brochure for a 2006...
Old 08-06-2005, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default if seats are an issue check out the "sport seats" in the A6...

audi sport seats are remarkably supportive - I cant's even sit in the standard ones with out longing for ther sports. I love the new design but I'm waiting for the s8 or s6 before swapping out my 95.5 s6 - then seats are the big part - but still not sure I'm willing to give up the manual trany.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2006's came out about 3 weeks ago, but they are still filtering into the smaller dealerships.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 729 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Well IMO the new front end works just fine. Projects an aggressive stance that I find works quite...

well. If you don't like it, then that's fine. But I found your negative comments to be over the top and offensive to someone, like myself, that has ordered an '06 with the new nose. In effect, I find, not the A8's new grill, but your comment laughable. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default To add to that...I think if you have not seen a 2005 W12 or 2006 + anny model...

I would reserve judgement until an in person inspection. The Single fram grill give the car a little more edgy, aerodynamic look compared to what can be at some angles, a flat, bloated bulbus look to the front of the pre facelift models. The grill is actually smaller in height and width compared to the 04 - 05.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 729 Likes on 513 Posts

Liam, what's up with your old/new A8 status? The new "lemon" plack is not a good sign :-(

Quick Reply: newbie A8 questions ...