A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen in Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen in Tires

The last 3-4 dealerships I've visited, told me they are delivering all new and cpo cars with air removed from tires and nitrogen installed.

Is that happening everywhere?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Is that so they can charge you $800 to fill the tires up when you come in?

Nitrogen has less thermal effects as compared to standard air, i.e. the pressures don't go up and down so much, maybe they do this so the TPMS system does not false alarm like they are so sensitve in doing.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Nitrogen in Tires

I think you may be right about the TPMS, however the local tire shop and VW Haus here doesn't charge anything for topping you off on nitrogen. I haven't had to use an Audi dealership for this yet, so don't know what they might do to me.
I know Discount Tires won't have anything to do with nitrogen, so most of the Audi club and P-car club members here won't buy tires there anymore.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Theres an Audi club in Lubbock?

Want a Lubbock section on TAG?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Theres an Audi club in Lubbock?

Sure, come see us, we have about 8 members, but we are part of the Texas Audi club, I think HQ is actually in Austin, are you part of that group?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I'm the admin for TAG

aka Texas Audi Club.
I'll make a Lubbock section!
at your next meeting direct there,
and we can keep you guys in the loop for statewide meets. Also set up a moderator for your section.

Didn't realize you had that many up there! thats not bad considering there isn't a dealership in Lubbock.
Corbett used to work for me a few summers ago.<ul><li><a href="http://texasaudigroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41">http://texasaudigroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41</a</li></ul>
Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Nitrogen in Tires ???

I was not a chemical major, (course 6 if you know what that means) however, I recall that air is already 78% nitrogen and the rest is (mostly) oxygen. When they fill with nitrogen, it is probably not 100% nitrogen and the TCE of oxygen is probably similar to the TCE of nitrogen so it is hard to believe that ~95% nitrogen is going to be very different from ~78% nitrogen. (wild guess a 10% change in TCE) Please let me know of the exact answer!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I've been driving for 31 years and have lived without nitrogen in my tires for this long so I'll continue to use my air compressor to fill my tires in my four vehicles.

Interesting CONcept putting nitrogen in tires. What was in the Hindenburg.... Oh, hydrogen, not nitrogen... never mind.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

costco has been doing this for awhile. nitrogen leaks out slower vs regular air, that's all.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Yes, I'm the admin for TAG

Hello, and thanks for the note, I got an email from Shawn last evening. I think we have 4 actual members, and 4-5 other Audi owners that show up at most of the meetings, especially if it is a Happy Hour. Our goal was to have 10 real members by EOY, but that may be hard to do now in 30 days, we're going to have 1 more meeting before year end, and try to elect a local chairperson(maybe my dau. in law-she drives an S4). If you ever get out this way, give us notice, and we'll have a get together. It's always fun to get to a local watering hole, to tell war stories and other lies. We're going to talk about a ski trip to Santa Fe in Jan or Feb, maybe other members, down in your area might like to join us.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in Tires