A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Negotiations

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Negotiations

Well, after having offers turned down at 3 different dealerships, I'm beginning to think there is no room for negotiations on the prices for CPO 2008 A8Ls. I thought I was just low balling (which in fairness, I did do the first time .) But now it seems as if dealers will come down 1K, tops, for these cars. Am I incorrect in assuming the market is soft for these cars? When I look at the CarFax, all the ones I made offers on had been on the dealers lots for at least a month. Perhaps I'm just not meant to own one of these great cars .
Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't say it's hopeless just yet. If you can wait, give it another month or two and see if the specific cars you want are still with their dealers. They might be more willing to budge on the price.

A local Northern California dealer had a nice CPO 2007 4.2 for four months before they dropped the price nearly $9k from their original asking price.

There are three things that are keeping the prices up on 2008+ D3's. They've already taken a hit for the D4 intro months ago so from here on it's standard depreciation. The 2008's are past the early model year growing pains in the D3 and have the timing chain FSI engine. They are facelift models which are nearly identical to the final year 2010 D3's (save standard LED headlights and an updated moonroof control). They're all pretty much CPO and at least factory warranty. Plus the 2008 A8L you found in Salt Lake City is the nicest condition/color/options combination I've seen for a 2008 in the past year of online browsing. Considering the options/milage/CPO, I don't think it's a bad deal if you can get it for $50k. Give it two months and they might be willing drop it another $3-4k.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Modest, as always, you have great insight. As my negotiation skill are non-existent, I think I was under the (apparently incorrect) assumption that the asking price was a starting point. I thought I could see about a 10% reduction in price, especially for some of the ones I've seen in the 50K+ price range. FWIW, I had started out looking at A6 4.2's, and they also had no wiggle room in pricing. I think part of the problem is I'm not looking at Camrys or Accords, where each dealer has a dozen or so cars, and I can just jump from dealer to dealer. These cars seem still to be fairly unusual. It is compounded by the fact that I'm pretty picky in what I want, and of course, have to wait until someone who had the same exact taste as me now trades in their car, near me, in the correct time frame. Juggling chainsaws seems easier sometimes.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can only imagine what sort of used car choice you have.
The UK buys within a gnats wisker of the same number of Audi's each year as the whole of the US does. The UK population is about 1/6 of the US so you can see we must have far higher number of cars available per head, and A8's are not common here.
The only thing in your favour is that the % of larger Audi's sold in the US is probably higher than here.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There seems to be a bigger difference in price from the 07-08's. Are the 07 and 08's pretty much the same car? Is it worth it to get an 08 over an 07 especially considering the price difference?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM
BRK
AudiWorld Senior Member

60 Days is the magic number... find one that has sat that long. After 60 days the dealership owns it out right and has to move it. At that point they will be close to taking it to auction... do you have access to Manhiem results? Those are the #'s I negotiated with...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRK
60 Days is the magic number... find one that has sat that long. After 60 days the dealership owns it out right and has to move it. At that point they will be close to taking it to auction... do you have access to Manhiem results? Those are the #'s I negotiated with...
Can you post some selling prices of recent 07 and 08 A8's from Manheim auction?

thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info BRK,
Unfortunately I don't have access to the Manheim site. Not really sure what it is either, although I have seen it referenced several times on this forum. I'm guessing it is an auto auction website? I'm just stunned at the amazing price spread for these cars. I have seen very comparable cars ranging from low-mid 40's to high 50's, no real regional correlation either. Now thinking I may need to wait a few months until the '12s come out, may see a dip in prices then. And of course, gas will be $10/gal by then
Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Kurt, The Mannheim site you are reffering to is just the public face of the largest dealer auction facility across the US and Canada. Every week vehicles hit the dealer auctions to be auctioned off to dealers and brokers. From there they are then shipped out to the retail facilities all over North America and some being purchased for export markets. There are other dealer auctions such as Adessa, but the size and scope of vehicles run thru the Mannheim auctions is astounding. Also when you are looking for Audi and competeing luxury vehicles I do have to say that the quality is the best due in large part to the actual direct relationship between Mannheim and the various manufacture's credit departments relationship. Mannheim clears the most vehicles, the quickest, they get the best vehicles.
Lastly, you will not have access to the live auctions or the OVE auctions as you need to be a registered and licensed broker to gain access. Hope this clears this up for you.
Regards,
Greg
Originally Posted by kurt0811
Thanks for the info BRK,
Unfortunately I don't have access to the Manheim site. Not really sure what it is either, although I have seen it referenced several times on this forum. I'm guessing it is an auto auction website? I'm just stunned at the amazing price spread for these cars. I have seen very comparable cars ranging from low-mid 40's to high 50's, no real regional correlation either. Now thinking I may need to wait a few months until the '12s come out, may see a dip in prices then. And of course, gas will be $10/gal by then
Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Mine's not CPO, but I bought a 2008 A8L in December with all options except active cruise, alcantara, B&O and heated wheel for $46,000. 30,000 miles with a December 08 in service date so I got 2 years and 20,000 miles of warranty. I'll buy an extended warranty right before that runs out.

Just a price point for you to consider.

Larry

Quick Reply: No Negotiations