A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Sound from speakers in 12 degree weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Sound from speakers in 12 degree weather

This is baffling.Drove about 25 miles or so and parked for about 5 hours. When I returned to my car, there is no sound at all from the radio, CD, Nav system, BT Notta one. They all are functioning on the MMI screen, just no sound. The sound worked fine when I left home but not at all when I got back in to return home. The temp was 12 degrees or less. Some electronics like traffic lights & rail road crossings can freeze up and stop working in frigid weather. Can that be the case here? Has anyone experienced this? If not the weather, what are other possibilities..
Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting, could be an issue with the amp, I suppose. When in doubt, check all related fuses.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having something very strange happen similar except the screen would not even pop up. It has been well below 0 here. When the temp was really cold it would take about 15 minutes for the interior to warm up and the MMI to start. After it was warm it was good to go. Checked the codes and am getting some weird intermittent issues.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This happens with my W12. Once the interior warms up shut the car down and lock the doors. Wait about 4 minutes and you will hear all the modules shutting down in the dash and in the trunk. Once that happens unlock the doors and restart the vehicle and you will have sound. It only happens when outside temperatures are under -10 Celsius. I have read it could be a software update or an amp replacement, neither are cheap or a guaranteed fix so at this point I have left it.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ceedubbu
This happens with my W12. Once the interior warms up shut the car down and lock the doors. Wait about 4 minutes and you will hear all the modules shutting down in the dash and in the trunk. Once that happens unlock the doors and restart the vehicle and you will have sound. It only happens when outside temperatures are under -10 Celsius. I have read it could be a software update or an amp replacement, neither are cheap or a guaranteed fix so at this point I have left it.
The next day temp was above 12 degrees (a balmy 18 degrees) and all sounds were restored. If it happens again when the temp drops, I'll try your process. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by klouisdrk
This is baffling.Drove about 25 miles or so and parked for about 5 hours. When I returned to my car, there is no sound at all from the radio, CD, Nav system, BT Notta one. They all are functioning on the MMI screen, just no sound. The sound worked fine when I left home but not at all when I got back in to return home. The temp was 12 degrees or less. Some electronics like traffic lights & rail road crossings can freeze up and stop working in frigid weather. Can that be the case here? Has anyone experienced this? If not the weather, what are other possibilities..
This is just a software update that needs done. The CD cost me $16 from my local Audi dealer and I did the update myself. It literally took like 10, maybe 15 minutes to do the update. I updated mine 2 nights ago and this morning it was -4 degrees F and I had sound again. The TSB mentions anything below 5 degrees F and that's when mine would fail.

You might want to read this TSB on it: http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Stereo/BO...0condition.pdf
Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Puum, Your link is no good..
Attached Thumbnails No Sound from speakers in 12 degree weather-capture.png  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well huh. I checked that link right before I posted it and it worked. At any rate, here is the Google cache of that same page. It just doesn't have the pictures and isn't as pretty as the original: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I also found the text version of the TSB on this page: https://www.justanswer.com/audi/4l12...-radio-cd.html

The important part is checking what version of the Bose Amp you have installed because there are multiple update CDs that you can buy based on what version you currently have installed. Mine was 4E0 910 223 K / version 440 so I needed update CD part number 4E0 906 961 AG.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Semi dead post back to life...
I'm having a similar issue.
2006 A8 4.2 with the Bose system. (wish it was the B&O!!)
In cold weather, the amp doesn't work. I'm talking -10c or colder. I'll drive somewhere, park it, come back out and it works. This has to be a trigger issue with the amp. What a total pain.
Could it be moisture in the trunk???
Old 12-14-2019, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Andy,

Have you checked the version of your amplifier software in your MMI? I would say it's almost certain that's your problem and you just need to update the amplifier software. I did that and I haven't had that happen to me since then.

The customer may experience the following condition after entering his vehicle in very cold weather conditions (< -12C, 5F):
- No audio in all sources as long as vehicle is cold. After disconnecting the amplifier or a few minutes of driving (warming up), the audio returns and functions normally. The MMI menu is displayed and working properly all the time.
- Screeching sound, after opening the vehicle door (MMI system awakes). After disconnecting the amplifier or a few minutes of driving (warming up), the audio returns and functions normally. The MMI menu is displayed and working properly all the time.
- Sporadically, DTC 01044 may be incorrectly stored in 47 - Sound system. Technical Background

A slow internal voltage supply initialization (due to ambient temperature) is the root cause of an instable working processor. Software update of the amplifier will correct this issue.