A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not the typical trunk problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same problem with mine. needed a new latch.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 725 Likes on 510 Posts

Talk about timing. Got home last night and the trunk popped open while the garage attendant was raising the car on the hydraulic lift. Brought the lift back down and closed the trunk lid, and it happened once more, then it finally stayed closed. Went back to garage this AM, and it's still closed. Guess it's back to the dealer on Saturday---was just there this past Saturday for the 3-year service.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have been more clear. Its not the closing part...It is our of sync. The securing motor activates when the trunk goes up instead of when it goes down.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I had the 2004 4.2 A8L the trunk latch was replaced under CPO warranty. The issue back then was when I would initiate auto close by pressing the butting inside the trunk lid, it would lower to close and once it got to the bottom the it wouldn't latch and would then reopen. I had to manually close it down but if I recall correctly, even then it would not latch closed though it did stay down.

The 2007 W12 is with Audi service right now for different trunk problem. The trunk sometimes sticks when I try to open it. It opens on the second attempt. To me, it seemed like the cause was a timing issues between the latch and the motorized opening mechanism or a sticking latch. The Audi SA had something replaced under factory warranty but I can't remember if its the hinges or the latch.

Last edited by ModestW12; 10-25-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by ModestW12
When I had the 2004 4.2 A8L the trunk latch was replaced under CPO warranty. The issue back then was when I would initiate auto close by pressing the butting inside the trunk lid, it would lower to close and once it got to the bottom the it wouldn't latch and would then reopen. I had to manually close it down but if I recall correctly, even then it would not latch closed though it did stay down.

The 2007 W12 is with Audi service right now for different trunk problem. The trunk sometimes sticks when I try to open it. It opens on the second attempt. To me, it seemed like the cause was a timing issues between the latch and the motorized opening mechanism or a sticking latch. The Audi SA had something replaced under factory warranty but I can't remember if its the hinges or the latch.
Yeah, This whole trunk system is over done. I have been messing with it for a couple days now. I even read the values of the trunk through the vag com and it literally measures the percentage of the trunk being open. 0% at closed and when fully open it is at 86%...I'm not saying thats the problem, just amazing the level of intricacy in this system. The trunk sends that information and will actually react differently to open/close signals at different percentages. PITA.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had this problem pop up sporadically. When it does, I've just given it a good slam and it seems to solve the problem. It then works fine again for a few months before it resurfaces. It doesn't seem to be temperature dependent for me as I've had it happen in freezing weather and on really hot days.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Well in my infinite curiosity, I have replaced the micro switch in the deck lid latch myself. It had failed. I still have one problem though. The trunk will open on its own now but on closing, it gets about 2/3 of the way down, then aborts and goes back up. There is no action from the securing motor that sits behind the battery. It just seems like its all out of whack. Does anyone know of a reset procedure or anything?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you tried slamming it on its way down? That's what I do with mine and it seems to work. Doesn't sound very good when I do it, but I haven't noticed any misalignment with hinges or anything, so I assume it effectively resets the system.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same problem and my mechanic tried everything with the latches which was not the culprit.It was the lock in the trunklid.Using a screwdriver to lock it each time and unlock it with the unlock switch and spraying WD-40 in the lock.Everything works fine now.

Greetz Erik.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So basically you sprayed WD-40 into the lock part that is on the trunk itself. (inside the black housing that surrounds the lock engager)?

Quick Reply: Not the typical trunk problem...