A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

occasional no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default occasional no start

I found this posted on another forum.

Has anyone experienced this?

-------------------------------------------------
1) a few times a week,when I turn the key in the ignition, the engine does not start- instead, I can hear the very beginning of the engine attempting to start for just a split-second(the engine never actually turns over- there is only a split second of engine [starter ed] activity- it reminds me of when a battery is all but dead and has just enough juice to make a "clicking" sound in the engine before going completely dead). All of the power comes on, but the engine does not start. I have to turn the ignition off completely, then it will always fully start with the second try. I would estimate that this happens 5-10% of the time. Local Audi dealer has looked at it, but says that they can't find anything wrong.
2) when locking the car with key fob, alarmusually chirps to confirm engagement- within last week, the chirp was much quieter for a few days- now there is no chirp at all when I lock the car. Car still locks all doors, lights stillflash,and light on door sills are flashing to confirm that alarm is engaged. Any thoughts??

thanks for any input!

#2 08-14-2007, 12:40 AMDublinOH78 RE: '04 A8 starter "quirks"
I had the exact same issue with the starter on my 2004 A8L two months ago. The dealer couldn't locate the problem. They tested and thought a couple of relays were bad. After replacing, they started it fine 24 times in a row. The 25th time it acted up again. Long story short, they had my car for 12 days and the final fix took about an hour. They connected the car to the internet and had it remotely diagnosed by Audi engineers. Some sort of non-published update was needed for the controle module. There were no bulletins or articles about the problem that the dealership could find, so the last resort after nearly two weeks was to connect the car to the internet and have it worked on by someone else. The car has been fine ever since.

If your dealer can't find the problem, have them call Midwestern Auto Group (magcars.com) and ask for Marty or Josh in Audi Service. MAG will recall this problem given the fact they spent dozens of hours trying to diagnose it.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Just a random glitch that seems to affect some early cars. Mine has done it occasionally ever since I’ve owned it. It’s always started second time around so have ignored it. Suggest you do the same
Old 12-09-2017, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

My '04 did it about every 12th to 24th start attempt for the first few years I had it. I never complained about it. After a free update when I too it in for a recall, it basically stopped doing it. Now it does it once or twice a year. No big deal.