A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change with New Metal Oil Filter Housing Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Change with New Metal Oil Filter Housing Cover

I decided to finally take the plunge and change my oil myself instead of paying $165 at the dealer for an oil change. I weighed the benefits of using an Oil Changer Vacuum Fluid Extractor Pump Tank that would cost an additional $60 or so. I decided to do it the old fashioned way the first time so I understood all of the steps and then may utilize the fluid extractor at a later time. Use Misha's Aluminum Oil Filter cover and it will cost you about $160 to change your oil yourself and will never have to worry about having problems with the plastic cover. After this cost to change oil should be about $60 and 1 hour of time.

Step 1) Buy an Aluminum Oil Filter housing cover from Mishar. They are $100 now and well worth the money. The plastic caps strip and will cost you $100 to replace.
Step 2) Pick up oil from Wallmart, was $22 for 5 quarts, now it is $24. You will neeed 8 quarts
Step 3) Pick up an Oil Filter (I used genuine Audi) and a crush washer for the drain plug
Step 4 Have a 10MM Hex bit socket tool for removing oil drain plug, socket wrench, flat blade screwdriver, long handle Phillips, and 24MM (15/16") 12 pointed socket for plastic cap removal and a 32MM socket for metal cap placement, and 5mm hex driver long handled, 15 quart oil pan (it comes out FAST), and a whole roll of paper towels.

Drive car on small ramps and remove 6 flat blade screws to take underbelly Pan off. Remove screws around air filter housing, including two bolts holding it in (my thoughtful dealers have left these bolts out so I don't need to do this step) remove hose clamp in back of Mass Airflow Sensor. Take off top part of Air Filter housing (good time to replace air filter while you are in there). From bottom of car you will see where the hose that attaches to the bottom of the Air Filter housing attaches to a large round piece a the bottom of the car. Pull this out from here and you can remove bottom of air filter and it will have a two foot hose piece attached to it. Drain oil, and bend heat shield to gain access to oil filter cover. Remove plastic cover and then remove filter element. Drain excess oil in filter housing through drain screw (5MM hex). Replace screw and put new washer on (supplied with filter). Put new O ring in place on Metal filter cover in the groove closest to the top, there will be about 1/8" metal between the O ring and the top where it seats. Put fresh oil on new O ring. Put in new filter and put back together wiping up all excess oil that dripped anywhere. If you are careful you can put a piece of plastic under the car and only spill a few drops on the plastic. Whole procedure should take about 2 hours the first time, and subsequently should take under an hour. This is a good time to check for parts wear, and lubricate Sway Bar Bushings with a Teflon spray to get rid of squeaking.

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 09-03-2013 at 08:59 AM.