A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange Coolant (just an FYI)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Orange Coolant (just an FYI)

This is just an FYI for people who may see the same thing and worry. As it is now 1'F here in Chicago I checked my coolant level. The coolant looked orange as in the picture. I recently did a drain and fill from G12++(pink) to G13("lilac"). The car has never seen anything but Audi brand coolant, previously drained coolant looked pristine, and the tank was fairly clean inside when I did the change, so it's not sediment on the bottom.
I took a straw, stirred it up a bit and took a sample from deep in there and put it in a cup, and i could see the the color was indeed actually lilac/pink -ish.
I set the cup outside in the freezing cold and the color remains lilac/pink (and thankfully did not freeze) incase someone is wondering if it changes colors in the cold. I don't think my pink G12++ ever looked orange, maybe it's the mix of coolants and the light just playing some tricks in the plastic coolant tank that makes it look orange... but it is fine for those who run into the same issue. Anyway, if anyone else has seen this phenomenon chime in.
Attached Thumbnails Orange Coolant (just an FYI)-20171226_163259.jpg   Orange Coolant (just an FYI)-20171226_163123.jpg  
Old 06-18-2021, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default orange looking coolant

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
This is just an FYI for people who may see the same thing and worry. As it is now 1'F here in Chicago I checked my coolant level. The coolant looked orange as in the picture. I recently did a drain and fill from G12++(pink) to G13("lilac"). The car has never seen anything but Audi brand coolant, previously drained coolant looked pristine, and the tank was fairly clean inside when I did the change, so it's not sediment on the bottom.
I took a straw, stirred it up a bit and took a sample from deep in there and put it in a cup, and i could see the the color was indeed actually lilac/pink -ish.
I set the cup outside in the freezing cold and the color remains lilac/pink (and thankfully did not freeze) incase someone is wondering if it changes colors in the cold. I don't think my pink G12++ ever looked orange, maybe it's the mix of coolants and the light just playing some tricks in the plastic coolant tank that makes it look orange... but it is fine for those who run into the same issue. Anyway, if anyone else has seen this phenomenon chime in.
noticed the same thing on my overflow tank but in a 2013 Q5 with a 2.0t, did some test like you did and the same turned out to be true., it only looks orange if you shine a light from the top looking down on the coolant but if you take a sample out it looks straight pink.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wish I found this an hour ago

Thanks for this post. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out what coolant was in my Audi A4. It should be G12, bit the color looked orange. I couldn't figure it out and was ready to call my shop, passed off. But it's not orange, it just looks it with a flash light in the resivour. I wouldn't have thought to test the color outside the engine if I didn't find this. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
Sci-fi_Wasabi (08-30-2023)