A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Partial MMI Failure Audi A8 2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partial MMI Failure Audi A8 2007

2007 Audi A8

Due to moisture from partially closed sunroof, the MMI center consul main control wheel does not work, however surrounding corner buttons still function. No problem with screen, CD/AM-FM/Telephone/Car/Navigation/Settings, or function of four corner buttons (uo to the point that the control wheel is not needed).But without control wheel many built in feature. functions are not available.

I removed and disassembled the center consul and liberally applied contact cleaner to the control panel circuit board, with no positive result. My questions are:

1.Is the main control wheel entirely mechanical, thereby eliminating a problem in the control wheel itself?

2.Assuming the circuit board is defective, does anyone have any experience with E380 control panel circuit boards sourced in China and sold on the internet?

Any additional insight or feedback would be welcomed.

Best regards,

Jay
Old 08-31-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Unless you're know what you're doing and have the skills with regards electronics and IC repair, then I'm sure you'll be able to identify the damaged components and replace.

If not, then just buy a used one off eBay with a return guarantee.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Dave!
Old 09-02-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Check out the board since it's out...

Originally Posted by Jay Sjostrom
2007 Audi A8

Due to moisture from partially closed sunroof, the MMI center consul main control wheel does not work, however surrounding corner buttons still function. No problem with screen, CD/AM-FM/Telephone/Car/Navigation/Settings, or function of four corner buttons (uo to the point that the control wheel is not needed).But without control wheel many built in feature. functions are not available.

I removed and disassembled the center consul and liberally applied contact cleaner to the control panel circuit board, with no positive result. My questions are:

1.Is the main control wheel entirely mechanical, thereby eliminating a problem in the control wheel itself?

2.Assuming the circuit board is defective, does anyone have any experience with E380 control panel circuit boards sourced in China and sold on the internet?

Any additional insight or feedback would be welcomed.

Best regards,

Jay
-The top board only has those switches and some resistors or capacitors - Since you have it open, start to check for the switch function. Only check the one that doesn't work. Push the button switch to see if it makes a short (momentarily I assume) or open - You should have someone to help if you don't have mini clips.
- If the center **** is the problem, the IC that connected to the switch and the connector should be checked for power and ground. Read the IC part # and google it to find power pin and ground pin. If the chip is burnt due to water, you should have a few ohms between power and ground. My guess is the coupling capacitor of the center switch is blown and shorted, that's why the switch in "PUSHED" position, therefore you can't select anything using the wheels.
I don't assume anything until it's fully tested.

Cheers,

Louis