A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcv valve, how to make sure it's working or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcv valve, how to make sure it's working or not

Hi guys,
One side of valve cover gasket gone and I suspect the PCV valve could be faulty as well.
Yesterday I took it off, p/n 077103245B. Opened it and cleaned it with engine degreaser. rubber looks good but I kind of don't understand how it should be working. With the spring inside, I suppose rubber or some parts needs be moving to control block or open...
Anyhow I tried blow both pipe ends and all goes through. Not sure if this is what I should expect.

Cheers
Tom
Old 05-04-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cleaned mine a week ago. Pain in the butt to get it separated. Anywho that's all you do. Same happened with mine. If it goes bad, you'll hear a high pitch whining noise. Not sure what exactly goes bad in it, I believe it just becomes clogged.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Cleaned mine a week ago. Pain in the butt to get it separated. Anywho that's all you do. Same happened with mine. If it goes bad, you'll hear a high pitch whining noise. Not sure what exactly goes bad in it, I believe it just becomes clogged.
thanks.

I mean I'm suppose the valve should be something like closed on one direction, and need some pressure to open? Just I don't get any ideas how it should work and how to perform a quick test.

Some other pcv valve that can be tested by just rattle to hear some noise. But this one, I've got no ideas.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts

When in doubt, replace. Unfortunately among the world's most expensive PCV valves. Typical over engineered Swiss watch think from Art in Engineering for a part with a very basic function. It is what it is though as far as owners' need to live with it. To me, not worth fooling with if any doubts--even having taken them apart (on way to throwing away) along with hundreds of other Audi parts/assemblies over the decades. And in a nightmare scenario if it fails and sticks closed with motor over pressurized it can cause seal failures that can turn into like 100 x the cost of the PCV valve. Step one of that nightmare usually starts with, "remove engine."

Net, I prefer to R&R Art's overdone PCV valve and solve any likely or even suspected issue rather than either Fix it Again (and again...) Tony or even low probability risk taking.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-04-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
When in doubt, replace. Unfortunately among the world's most expensive PCV valves. Typical over engineered Swiss watch think from Art in Engineering for a part with a very basic function. It is what it is though as far as owners' need to live with it. To me, not worth fooling with if any doubts--even having taken them apart (on way to throwing away) along with hundreds of other Audi parts/assemblies over the decades. And in a nightmare scenario if it fails and sticks closed with motor over pressurized it can cause seal failures that can turn into like 100 x the cost of the PCV valve. Step one of that nightmare usually starts with, "remove engine."

Net, I prefer to R&R Art's overdone PCV valve and solve any likely or even suspected issue rather than either Fix it Again (and again...) Tony or even low probability risk taking.
Pardon my English, R&R is remove & replace?

I'll also replace the valve cover gasket. That shouldn't need to 'remove engine', right?
Old 05-05-2017, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by tomwu
Pardon my English, R&R is remove & replace?

I'll also replace the valve cover gasket. That shouldn't need to 'remove engine', right?
Yes, R&R is common abbreviation for remove and replace. Valve cover gasket done w/ motor in place. Screws on lower back corner area are hard to access on many motors. Search for posts if you need more specifics there.