A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to change out steering wheel from wood to leather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Possible to change out steering wheel from wood to leather?

I've found several '05 cars that I like, except that 2 of them have wooden steering wheels. I would prefere the leather wrapped wheel. Has anyone changed out the steering wheel on a D3?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possible to change out steering wheel from wood to leather?

Not sure, but if it's easy to swap them out - I'll trade you for my 2005 leather wrapped wheel if you get one with wood, so long as it's a match for the wood in my amaretto interior. Tim
Old 08-21-2008, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default I know from posts it's been done the other way

That is, leather to wood. By definition a wood wheel already in a D3 won't have a heated feature, so you would presumably swap for a non-heated leather one, and want to stay in the same leather color groups generally. Black is definitely easiest if you have that.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've heard it's hard to do... but may have recalled incorrectly...

For one, in '05, most, if not all, the wood wheels came with paddle shifters; they simply weren't available in leather which, which is why I ended up buying the wood wheel. Furthermore, I was told (or read here numerous times) that there was a totally different steering wheel wiring harness for paddle-shifted cars. You might check out my picture poster for a "fix" that I opted for, the semi-wood wheel.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

If it can be done...you've got a deal. I'm searching hard for a black car with ameretto with the options I want. It's proving to be quite a chore. I didn't work this hard to find my last Ferrari - No Kidding! Finding a good A8L in Atlas Gray/Ameretto with most all options is harder than finding a needle in a haystack. I found a very low mile 05 in Florida that is what I want except for no heated rear seats, no keyless entry, no vented front seats......you get the picture.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

splines are the same on all D3s so it's possible. I swapped my 2006 leather OE steering wheel to 2005 Wood without any problems. ofcourse I had to get a different airbag to fit the new wheels as 05s came with round type cover. paddle shifters can be coded with VAGCOM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 PM
bA8
AudiWorld Member

Default And I thought I was the only one who thought that the wood steering wheel

was too hard to the touch. I passed on a car with everything I wanted except leather steering wheel. I ended up with a leather steering wheel with no vented seats. I wanted vented seats and did not have the patience.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I know how you feel

I'm looking for a 911 Turbo right now, and there's a billion of them out there...just haven't find that perfect one yet in months of searching.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I have one for sale! - see my picture poster <more>

Do you by any chance know if this is retrofitable into a c6 A6 with the A6 airbag?

Thank you
Old 08-23-2008, 06:50 AM

Default Cool - let me know if you want to swap.

Good luck finding the car you want. I hunted high and low for a atlas grey / amaretto with low miles and all the right goodies.

I then found my black/amaretto and fell in love.

No sooner did I buy my car, then a atlas grey/amaretto showed up. At the same dealer no less!

Quick Reply: Possible to change out steering wheel from wood to leather?