A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the problem with Audis in north america

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the problem with Audis in north america

I think this editor nailed Audi's problem right in the head. While purchasing my 06 A8 for instant, the dealer assured me that paddle shifters would come with the amaretto interior for the wooden steering wheel. After paying the deposit, he says Audi doesnt have enough wood for a sycamore steering wheel----right, still he assured me paddle shifters will be there. Next thing i know, when i get the car 3 bloody months later, NO PADDLE SHIFTERS!! WHY?? cuz its heated steering wheel. Seriously why cant we customize our cars like those germans. Its freaking unfair. Audi of America needs to get its ideas straight.<ul><li><a href="http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=115702">http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=115702</a</li></ul>
Old 06-14-2006, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The fault lies with our gov't not with the manufacturers...

If the crash test requirements were not so outragous and extreme, the customization possibilities would be far easier.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: The fault lies with our gov't not with the manufacturers...

well simple customizations like more interior combinations, foot rests, adjustable rear seats, individual colours, like seriously i wanted a phantomschwartz for the A8. But no. Only the Germans get it, you dont need any sort of crash test requirements for those.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The way cars are sold here is different than in Europe and so a side effect is...

that the US dealer network does not want 1000 different options for every car - the Audi marketing folks try to figure out what combo of options are most likely to be accepted here and create our base configuration. They also limit the number of SO options available to us as well.

My understanding is for a fee, you can get any official Audi paint color you want via Audi exclusive but that will add time to your build which may be unacceptable to you.

You can probably get some items through importers - just ask here, you may be surprised to find that you can get footrests via a back channel.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: the problem with Audis in north america

I agree. Marketing and sales is very lacking. I have sent out emails to two local dealers in San Diego, wanting information on the 07 A8L. I had tested driven to 06 models in the past, and find myself needing a large sedan. So I told both dealers that I was ready to make a custom order and for them to get back to me once I can do this. I spoke to both on the phone several times, and they said once they get pricing and details they would call. It has been 3 months since my last conversation. I see people on this board state that they have already ordered 07 models. I can not quite understand these salesmen. The product is outstanding but I can not find anyone willing to sell to me. No wonder sales are not robust.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ordering, allocating and price- Long

I feel the frustration is due to the inconsistent information which is a direct reflection on the dealers and AoA. The order guides seem very clear to me, thanks to Der Kimbo and his information. According to my local dealer in CO., he has placed an "allocation order" for an A8L to my specs from the 2007 guide, but I have been told no pricing yet. The crazy part is the 07 order guide specifies that you can not have a wood steering wheel with the Sand interior, at least at this time. It will likely be available later in the production run for A8L...why? Who the heck knows? If I was to spring for a W12 I could have the wood wheel with sand interior- go figure. SO if I want the wood wheel, I have to pop the $80k, then order one from the W12 and have dealer change out. With all this, I still am anxious and excited and looking forward to the day I officially transition from Jaguar to Audi!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Audi doesn't have enough wood

Now that's a new one....did they really say that???

I can't believe somebody would actually say that and think the customer would not know it's something made up.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have found that MANY Audi salespersons have no idea

what they are selling. It is this dealer network that has me RUNNING from Audi!
Old 06-14-2006, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well thats interesting...

Because other than the foot rests (which can be ordered after the fact) everything you "wanted" - colors and the power rears seats are possible. Sounds to me like you used a dealer that has no knowledge of how to order the car with customization.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Well thats interesting...

yea i got power lumbar support, but not adjustable rear seats like the W12

Quick Reply: the problem with Audis in north america