A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear differential bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default rear differential bearing replacement

Has anybody actually repaired their noisy 05-07 d3 rear end? I have read the service bulletin that recommends replacing it due to "worn bearing or bearing carrier". I have a very pronounced whining between 55-80mph. I'd like to take a stab at replacing the bearing....how hard can it be?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bearing

Can you tell which bearing is the one making the noise, there are 4 of them inside the housing.
usually is the front pinion shaft bearing the noisy one, but you won't know until taken apart.
not that hard to do depending who you ask, in an average it cost 1400.00 to replace them all.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default does it whine when you're on the gas or coasting ?

Originally Posted by Tim1
Has anybody actually repaired their noisy 05-07 d3 rear end? I have read the service bulletin that recommends replacing it due to "worn bearing or bearing carrier". I have a very pronounced whining between 55-80mph. I'd like to take a stab at replacing the bearing....how hard can it be?
My 04 whines while coasting but I dont think it makes noise otherwise. Was yours a progression from coasting to all-the time-whine ?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haven't been in an Audi diff but...

I haven't opened up an Audi differential unit yet, but normally the carrier and pinion bearings aren't too bad to replace - WITH the right tools. Most of the bearing are press-fit, and so to remove or replace, you will need appropriate pullers and maybe a press. If the bearing is the carrier bearing, the job is pretty straightforward, but you will have to ensure that you get the preload correct, and that the ring gear to pinion gear mesh is correct.

If one of the the bearings on the pinion is a problem, then you will want to carefully measure pinion depth, which does take some special gauges, as otherwise the pinion and ring gear mesh won't be quite right, and you will end up with more noise than you started with.

I've just looked at the ETKA parts listing, and at least from what I can see, Audi doesn't list the parts that go inside the differential, only the complete unit. Seems like the dealers are more into 'replace the unit' rather than 'replace the part that's bad inside the unit'. By the time labor charges are considered, probably more economical to just but the complete differential and bolt it in.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awdinut
My 04 whines while coasting but I dont think it makes noise otherwise. Was yours a progression from coasting to all-the time-whine ?
I got the car this way, over the past 6 months it hasn't gotten worse. Maybe a noisy wheel bearing adding to the symphony....
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ProtoFly
I haven't opened up an Audi differential unit yet, but normally the carrier and pinion bearings aren't too bad to replace - WITH the right tools. Most of the bearing are press-fit, and so to remove or replace, you will need appropriate pullers and maybe a press. If the bearing is the carrier bearing, the job is pretty straightforward, but you will have to ensure that you get the preload correct, and that the ring gear to pinion gear mesh is correct.

If one of the the bearings on the pinion is a problem, then you will want to carefully measure pinion depth, which does take some special gauges, as otherwise the pinion and ring gear mesh won't be quite right, and you will end up with more noise than you started with.

I've just looked at the ETKA parts listing, and at least from what I can see, Audi doesn't list the parts that go inside the differential, only the complete unit. Seems like the dealers are more into 'replace the unit' rather than 'replace the part that's bad inside the unit'. By the time labor charges are considered, probably more economical to just but the complete differential and bolt it in.
I was going to give it a try myself. I've matched bearings before at bearing supply houses with great success. The preloading/gear mesh depth part is what I was worried about. It seems to be a stable problem. for now I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a unit from a wreck. If anyone else out there has had success replacing the bearing, I'd love to know.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget, if you find a diff, it must be the same ratio as the front diff!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
Don't forget, if you find a diff, it must be the same ratio as the front diff!
Great point, I know there are a bunch of units (w-12, d-2, some a-6)that will bolt up but have different ratios.
It's got to be from a 2007-2011 a-8 4.2, they are hard to find.