A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear door will not open

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door will not open

Hi folks
I am just new to Audi and this forum.

I just got a UK 2004 A8l W12
The centre locking has the electric child proof locks and it has the power closing on the doors. Everthing appears to be working except the passenger rear door.
I managed to get the passenger rear door open once my son was trying the handle form the inside and I was try the handle & the fob from the outside.
We mangage to open it once.
I noticed when the doors are locked the red light comes on the lock but does not go out when you pull the inside handle. The drivers rear door inside handle when pulled extinguishes the red light on the locks.
I have had it in my local garage and they have tried opening via the computer but no joy.
you car hear the lock moving but unable to open the door.
It also looks near impossible to remove the door card with the door closed as it covers the lock.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Alan
Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Banned

I have VagCom and I would bet that the electronic locks can be tested in the central locks control module. I haven't checked myself so I just saying maybe. Probably under advance measuring etc. If you don't have VagCom cable than this is all useless info and I'm sorry. I tell you what, I'm reset fault codes and clicked boxes over and over in the RossTech program and then allof a sudden it just works. I take a look at that module tonight...
Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Ah, the Audi cop car feature!

Assuming what you are saying is you can open from the outside, but not the inside, AND it's not the lock out switch on the driver's door, instead look for the other "kiddie" lock, a.k.a. cop car feature. Thus:

Get the relevant rear door open and look along the back edge of the door panel, just before where the rubber gasket starts. You should find a little plastic cover with a lock symbol on it. Pry that off, stick your key in there and give the mechanism a twist and then it should open the "normal" way. Return cover to its normal place covering the hole in the door panel and you are done.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Assuming what you are saying is you can open from the outside, but not the inside, AND it's not the lock out switch on the driver's door, instead look for the other "kiddie" lock, a.k.a. cop car feature. Thus:

Get the relevant rear door open and look along the back edge of the door panel, just before where the rubber gasket starts. You should find a little plastic cover with a lock symbol on it. Pry that off, stick your key in there and give the mechanism a twist and then it should open the "normal" way. Return cover to its normal place covering the hole in the door panel and you are done.
thanks for the info I cannot open the door from the outside either the one time I did get it open I removed the plastic cover you mentioned but there is nothing to turn behind it tried screwdriver in slot but no joy checked other door the slot was the same thnks again
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alh3010
thanks for the info I cannot open the door from the outside either the one time I did get it open I removed the plastic cover you mentioned but there is nothing to turn behind it tried screwdriver in slot but no joy checked other door the slot was the same thnks again
Hi thanks for the reply
I think the garage hooked up thatway and tried the locks from the laptop. I donot know if they reset the fault codes.
I am currently at oversea at the moment and it would be nice if the door was fixedxfor me getting home. I have also purchased theclatest MMI software and was intending to get the garage to update it hoping that that might help. I also am goining to refit the TPMS as all the sensors have removed and the function was disabled by audi bya previou owner. I have found a place that will supply me with 5 sensors for the price of one original.
They need to know the ype and frequency, I think I know the type (RDE001) but I do not know the frequency there are apparently 2 frequencies available 315Mhz & 433Mhz any suggestions?
thanks again
Alan
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default TPMS requency depends on country you are in

Originally Posted by alh3010
They need to know the ype and frequency, I think I know the type (RDE001) but I do not know the frequency there are apparently 2 frequencies available 315Mhz & 433Mhz any suggestions?
thanks again
Alan
433 is for the USA. I think many/most Euro countries are probably 315 but you would have to check. The OEM supplier is Beru, and you might find it spec'ed by country on their site if you don't find it elsewhere. VAG COM actually allows either to be selected.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as I remember you can change the frequency in VCDS (VAG-COM).