A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear headrests

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear headrests

Anyone know how to remove rear headrests on an 06 A8, Want to have rear window tinted and removing them would make it much easier...Thanks...Flats
Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Yes, raise...

headrest and then press the little locking device--on the passenger side one I checked it is toward the center of the car, at the base of the right hand metal support where it comes out of the back cushion. Push that in as you pull up the headrest and it releases the safety stop. Tight clearance as you get the headrest extended to near the roof, but at least on mine (with the four seat/recline set up) I can just get it out.

BTW, on tinting, pulling these headrests out is a for sure/virtually mandatory thing to do. But, if you look carefully, notice the glass at the bottom of the rear window goes below the rear hat shelf by several inches, and there is no real gap. That is not a common back window set up. Some shops will just push it down into that gap somehow, perhaps picking up some dust and lint along the way. If they cut it short, of course it will show from outside some. Others don't want to do a D3 rear glass. Also, it is hard to tint the far rear quarter panel glass really well unless you take out the side trim, which is very bulky relative to the glass and sheet metal ultimately behind all that upholstery. To get the best look and minimize risk of later peeling, you want the film to end behind the completely blacked out part of the glass, not just where those fade/transition dots are. I took the time to disassemble the rear, upholstery, rear deck, trim and all. Took several hours. Very clean job was the result, plus less time fighting upholstery meant they spent more time to do a very careful job.

Even though I like the look, not 100% sure I would do the rear window again since the car has the sun shade. The light distortion at night through the defroster filaments is pretty much unavoidable no matter how well they get it placed. But, it is clear my now 10 year old C5 took a sun beating from daily parking at work for many years, rear shade or not, and a good film would have slowed that down a lot.