A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair MMI for $3600?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repair MMI for $3600?

I need advice.
I have a 2006 A8L that I bought CPO several years ago. I have had all work done as scheduled by Audi. After getting the car washed on Sunday, the entire MMI goes dead on Monday. Dealer says diagnostics show two modules are dead -- Navigation in trunk (and a control module in the dash)?
Dealer says moisture is not an issue. No cause given, except mechanic thinks one probably fried and it killed the second.

So dealer wants me to shell out $3600 to replace the two modules with NO explanation of what caused the failure.

Does it make sense that these modules just die on their own? Two at a time? And does it make sense to replace them at this cost when I have no idea if the problem will recur? And finally, can I even trade the car no workable MMI.

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks in advance. I've read this blog for years.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I for one find it hard to believe it was a coincidence and water was not involved in some way.

Are your sunroof and cowl drains clear ?
Might be an indication as to what really happened....
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome! First thing you need is VCDS scan. It will show what's wrong.

Question: who washed the car?

By all means don't let that dealer to rip you off. That's way too much even if you have to replace those two modules, which is highly unlikely.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks guys. I asked the service rep for the diagnostic codes but he said he didn't have them.

One more fact. The Navigation module in the trunk is not truly "dead." It is powered up. I took a look at the unit in the trunk and the buttons light up.

I called Audi USA this morning. I'll see what they say after they talk to the dealer.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by auditionally
One more fact. The Navigation module in the trunk is not truly "dead." It is powered up. I took a look at the unit in the trunk and the buttons light up.
As Mishar said a VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) scan will tell you a lot.
It is very possible there is a communication problem or if one module is dead the others won't respond.

Audi, like most dealer service shops, will replace parts until the problem goes away.
A little bit of research here and a scan will help you avoid some very expensive bills.

Last edited by jakematic; 11-21-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: typographical error in BBcode
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that the 2 units are connected by an optical bus, it would be very difficult to have one fry the other. The mmi module is mounted high on the firewall behind the glove box, so it would be hard to get water in there. Some could possibly drip down in the trunk on the dvd module, but even that would be a bit tough. Maybe some moisture did get into the optical connection, and the 2 modules cant talk to each other. Might be worth pulling the optical cable out on the navi module in the trunk, and see if there is any moisture on it.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Guys, I have read about the "Pepsi Syndrome." I am the only one that drives the car and I have never spilled anything on the buttons.

Am I correct that IF the problem was a spill, dealer would want to replace the controls on the console, not the Interface (4E0-910-732-SX) + the Navigation module? In other words, is the dealer's parts list inconsistent with a spill? I am trying to be prepped if the dealer comes back and tries to blame me.

You guys are terrific. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Different angle: insurance?

For this money, don't you want to consider an insurance claim? Call your agent to find out the coverage for this. I'm guessing comprehensive, if you have it that is. Forget the dealer saying water not involved; I don't see how they can even start to get to a conclusion like that unless and until the defective part(s) get pulled and water found, or not. Meanwhile, the washing and the problem seem like common sense correlations from your description. If it's comprehensive and your deductible is low, then think about going that way; should also not result in a points or similar rating ding from my experience w/ rock hits and the like.

Meanwhile, I haven't heard or one part in the system frying another. And, since they communicate on an optical bus, what's the dealer's theory even?: laser strike from one end of the car to the other across the fiber??? Come on! If it were a unit that supplied power to another one, I suppose, but to me that scenario would be one more like the MMI controller and the screen (if the controller is what drives the video), both of which are also near each other (in and behind dash).

As others have said, you need a scan to know which modules are reporting what, or that are no longer reporting at all. You mention "Pepsi Syndrome" but it doesn't seem from what you say like there was any liquid spill on the console. Could be the plenum drains under the rear hood cover are clogged, which could lead to water from the car washing entering the interior. In this case, you would likely find some wet upholstery too. And if so, back to the insurance claim as well.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-21-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

MP4.2+6.0, Thanks for the advice. BTW, I have always enjoyed your posts.

I'm going to see what Audi USA comes up with on Monday. I'm now convinced this has more to do with selling parts than diagnosing a problem. Two parts on separate electrical circuits half a vehicle apart communicating only by fiber don't fail at the same time. Maybe software? Maybe connection?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by auditionally
Thanks guys. I asked the service rep for the diagnostic codes but he said he didn't have them.

I called Audi USA this morning. I'll see what they say after they talk to the dealer.
Try to find somebody with VCDS near you, or even buy one from Ross-tech. It is ten times cheaper than this estimate and it has much more value than just this. Without scan everything is just guessing. Than, on that line, I asked you who washed the car. That might seam irrelevant but it is not. The one might have spilled some water onto MMI or pressed some buttons too hard.

Another question: are you absolutely positive that everything was working just before that wash and stopped working just after it? That would prove relevance. Sometimes we tend to connect events in an unreal way.

Quick Reply: Repair MMI for $3600?