A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced ac compressor and dryer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced ac compressor and dryer

Hi i just wanted to let everyone know that i replaced my ac compressor and dryer without removing front bumper cover or putting the front in service position. Jack up front of vehicle (please use jackstands) remove cover from underneath, use 19mm wrench on belt tentioner, remove belt from compressor, i removed the ac hoses from compressor and dryer since system was already empty, 13mm socket remove 3 bolts from compressor and maneuver it out by the hoses. 10mm swival socket and extention remove dryer. used ac flush in the lines and blew out with compressed air. assemble in reverse order total time it took me about a hour. took to a shop that was having a special evac and fill for $50. I hope this helps someone.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Would've helped me yesterday...

I just got bent over for $900 for A/C compressor, drier and refill, four wheel alignment and 1 side lower arms.!

Had no choice as time was a factor, so there we go.

Good work though!

K9

Originally Posted by bigdawg56
Hi i just wanted to let everyone know that i replaced my ac compressor and dryer without removing front bumper cover or putting the front in service position. Jack up front of vehicle (please use jackstands) remove cover from underneath, use 19mm wrench on belt tentioner, remove belt from compressor, i removed the ac hoses from compressor and dryer since system was already empty, 13mm socket remove 3 bolts from compressor and maneuver it out by the hoses. 10mm swival socket and extention remove dryer. used ac flush in the lines and blew out with compressed air. assemble in reverse order total time it took me about a hour. took to a shop that was having a special evac and fill for $50. I hope this helps someone.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

That actually sounds like a very good price for parts and labor by a shop that guarantees their work.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe so...

But I supplied the compressor, drier and arms (after he diagnosed the problems), and while the A/C is cold with a capital 'F', the 'ree orr' squeak at the front end is still there. We shall be having a private chat tomorrow....

p.s. Sorry, should have pointed out that this was on the Long Haired Colonel's 2002 A6 2.7TT. Seriously? $900? That's almost totalled!

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
That actually sounds like a very good price for parts and labor by a shop that guarantees their work.

Last edited by K9COP; 06-26-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I forgot to mention i was able to get a brand new compressor and dryer from a fellow audi owner who totalled his car before the install for $250.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=bigdawg56;24316521]Hi i just wanted to let everyone know that i replaced my ac compressor and dryer without removing front bumper cover or putting the front in service position. Jack up front of vehicle (please use jackstands) remove cover from underneath, use 19mm wrench on belt tentioner, remove belt from compressor, i removed the ac hoses from compressor and dryer since system was already empty, 13mm socket remove 3 bolts from compressor and maneuver it out by the hoses. 10mm swival socket and extention remove dryer. used ac flush in the lines and blew out with compressed air. assemble in reverse order total time it took me about a hour. took to a shop that was having a special evac and fill for $50. I hope this helps someone.

This may be very helpful to me....My AC went out today (I live in Dallas, Texas) so you need AC from April through October around here. I checked with my local service station that has done some stuff for me and they want to charge $1500 to replace the compressor, orfice and dryer (plus re-charge the system). I have worked on cars all my life but I've not done much to my A6 other brake work, plugs, filters etc... Two questions: Which compressor do you recommend and is replacing the dryer and orfice any more complicated than the compressor (which I think I can do once I get the system evacuated by a professional). Thank you for your time.

Stephen
Old 08-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

replacing the drier and the orfice is quite simple. If you can replace the compressor than you can replace the drier. And like i said, you can do it all from underneath pretty easily.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 06 A8L

the A8L is blowing hot. compressor doesnt kick on, but system shows a little pressure in there - I was gonna just replace the compressor, dryer, oil, office, and also vacuum it out with a oil vac pump for 8 hours to really get all the moisture out. its needed a can the last 4 years, every spring - im sure some moisture has got in there on refills since we ran over my good gauge set. but this time its either so low it won't kick on or the clutch is gone. To me it's dumb how these A8Ls run the pump every time the fan is on. only 108k on the car. factory compressor as far as I can tell. Ideas of how much freon to put in there into a completely vac system ?
Old 04-21-2023, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

100% not the clutch. I`m a wizard.
No really, there is no clutch on these compressor. It a variable displacement compressor and it always spins
Old 04-21-2023, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

640g of R134.

It’s not 1995 anymore, and variable displacement AC compressors don’t have a clutch. They run all the time. Same on all vehicles equipped with them. And you obviously have a leak in the system if you keep having to fill it so you need to fix that first. Although as you’re eyeballing it with cans of EZ FREEZ, you’ve possibly damaged the compressor. Variable compressors don’t play nice with overfilled systems.