A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset air suspension after sitting for a while?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset air suspension after sitting for a while?

I just came back from a long vacay (gone for 3-4 weeks) and the car was sitting on bump stops front and back. I'm guessing there's some kind of power save mode where it stops auto correcting the ride heigh after a while.

Anyway, I started the car up and everything came up without issue (lights went away). Driving the car is no problem, but when i turn it off it seems to vent the front left shock back to the bump stop. I can even hear hissing from that side as the shock goes back down.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

You have an air leak. Usually the air damper (shock/strut) is the culprit. However, a hose or fitting could be leaking. Only proper repair is replacing the leaky component.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
You have an air leak. Usually the air damper (shock/strut) is the culprit. However, a hose or fitting could be leaking. Only proper repair is replacing the leaky component.
Interesting, though the car comes up to the proper height and stays there when I start it. I guess it's time to spray it down with water and look for bubbles.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
Interesting, though the car comes up to the proper height and stays there when I start it. I guess it's time to spray it down with water and look for bubbles.
I'm going through a similar experience with my wife's allroad. The reason the car pumps back up when turned on is the compressor is working to fill the air bladders and if the leak is small, it will keep it filled while you're driving. The problem with this is the compressor is working all the time to keep the system filled and eventually, will burn itself out, adding considerable expense to the repairs. If all the corners are dropping to the stops, it might be a line or valve block that's leaking air or even a faulty sensor and not the springs themselves. In my case, it's just one rear corner so I ordered a pair of Arnott air springs for my indy to install this week just in case it's not something simpler. (I can always return them if not needed).
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting, I'll check it tonight to see where the hissing is coming from. Hopefully just some line thing; it would be a bit odd for the shock to fail by just sitting around.

Are the S8 and A8 shocks the same? There seems to be a sport option.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it would be a bit odd for the shock to fail by just sitting around.
The issue had likely been there for awhile, but you were able to more easily notice it after the vehicle sat for an extended period.

Soapy water is a good start, but a scan can point to additional information/clues.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting, I'll check it tonight to see where the hissing is coming from. Hopefully just some line thing; it would be a bit odd for the shock to fail by just sitting around.

Are the S8 and A8 shocks the same? There seems to be a sport option.

They are different. You can check out the popular aftermarket air spring Arnott website to see what they look like and the differences. Also note the cost of the compressor. Multiply by 2.5-3 to estimate what the OEM parts would cost at a dealer (not including labor).

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...17_pid174.html
Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default +1

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Also note the cost of the compressor. Multiply by 2.5-3 to estimate what the OEM parts would cost at a dealer (not including labor).
Absolutely !

Catching these early can help avoid the cost of a new (or rebuilding a) compressor.
Then there is the possibility of fused relay and valve block problems on top of that in the worst cases.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
They are different. You can check out the popular aftermarket air spring Arnott website to see what they look like and the differences. Also note the cost of the compressor. Multiply by 2.5-3 to estimate what the OEM parts would cost at a dealer (not including labor).

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...17_pid174.html
Gotcha, are the A8 sport and S8 struts the same? I see a handful of used ones available, mostly from A8 sport cars.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Park the car overnight in jack mode to disable the auto leveling. In the morning it will hopefully have sunk on one corner, one end, or on all sides. This will give you a very good clue as to where the leak is.

Quick Reply: Reset air suspension after sitting for a while?