A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the right size oil filter? Seems a little small

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Is this the right size oil filter? Seems a little small

Hello all,
I just received the oil filter from Amazon, the filter seems to be a little small, although the gasket is bigger. I don't know if this is the right one for the 06 A8L 4.2L.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 01-23-2014, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It doesn't look right.

It doesn't look right. I've only done one oil change on mine (2006 4.2) and it looked like this one:

http://www.carid.com/images/wp/hengs...1630593hen.jpg

-JT
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2014, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the width is correct, but the length is a little short. Amazon screws up again. Yours is 06, so the engine is different from 04-05 like mine right?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Buy your oil filters from a dealer or reputable auto parts store. Not worth it to buy by "mail order". Imo.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hate driving to dealers... none of them is close by

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Buy your oil filters from a dealer or reputable auto parts store. Not worth it to buy by "mail order". Imo.
All paper towel filters are the same to me, as long as they fit. Amazon return is easy, especially if it's their fault. The bad experience is audiusaparts, when I wanted to return something, they gave me the wrong address, I had to send it twice, cost twice the money and time, but at least they waved restocking fee.
Since 06 A8 has different engine code, I have to open it up to see if this one is actually wrong. The 04-05's have different engine code and I know the filter is longer than this one.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 01-24-2014, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

They are not all the same. The filter paper that Audi uses come from trees from and enchanted forest that is over 10000 years old and only unicorns are allowed to harvest the trees.

I don't want to get into an arguement about oem vs aftermarket.. but the ECS site says that the BFM and BGK engines use the same filter.

I would love to see someone evaluate oem vs aftermarket parts in a web show and bring in the designers of each.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, you're right... Audi stuff is always special... :-)

Originally Posted by greginfinity
They are not all the same. The filter paper that Audi uses come from trees from and enchanted forest that is over 10000 years old and only unicorns are allowed to harvest the trees.
I can prove my point of dirty oil and oil filter don't kill the engine, lacking oil does, by starting the experiment with this car (I've been doing it with other cars), but I bought the oil extractor to try out, so that's why I wanted to do everything just for fun. I do it just for the write up, not really for the car because I know my car would run to 200k miles without oil changes (top up only).
Sometimes I'm just amazed at people taking care of their car so well, by the book, I wonder if they actually go to the doctor to have full check up every year, clean their teeth twice a year, manicured, cook healthy food every day, exercise often... But their cars must be detailed every 6 months... etc...

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not the correct filter. For the $3 that you saved vs getting this from an OEM source, enjoy the extra headache.

Also, let me know how well your less than recommended (either by the factory, or even more so, what's recommended by those "in the know") maintenance works out for you.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I can prove my point of dirty oil and oil filter don't kill the engine, lacking oil does,
It's not so much that it's dirty, but the reduction in lubricity over time.
Additionally the additives and detergents break down resulting in sludge.

Low oil level is certainly a no go as recently demonstrated by a friend who never thought to maintain her vehicle.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are two different types of filters depending on your engine code.

We have both available, check them out below!

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason

Quick Reply: Is this the right size oil filter? Seems a little small