A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip emergency; All who purchased the Blauparts 4.2 D3 timing belt kit take note

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked mine yesterday and it looks fine with about 6K miles since replacement.

The belt pictured looks exactly like a worn out belt with about 100K+ on it. That's a very odd look for a replacement belt that only has 21K on it.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

In case anyone is wondering, The belt was installed correctly as it has directional arrows on it. As far as I recall, the OEM belt did not have an arrow but the Bentley manual says to mark the belt (with an arrow) before removing and reinstalling it (if using the same belt again) in the same rotation direction.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So far I've put about 10k roughly on my belt and so far no issues. I frequently put a lot juice on the gas with the air on to pass all the slow butt drivers. Haven't checked the condition of my belts but I'm sure they're fine. Blau part buyer kit as well, thing was at the time blau sent me the D2 serp belt and when I had the timing belt kit installed by audi they realized it and left the one I had on. Which was replaced previously at 52k, when the thermo went with the previous owner. (now at 88k) and audi said the serp belt was still in perfect condition and didn't need to be replaced (at 78k). I still have the brand new D3 belt blau sent me as well.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
I still have the brand new D3 belt blau sent me as well.
After Mister Bally's experience it really looks like a great asset.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brozee
I still have the brand new D3 belt blau sent me as well.
Bro, take a picture of the Packaging and Information then also of the Belt itself with any Identifying Marks. Most helpful to the Board. Much appreciation and thanks. Laters,
Old 07-05-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Shocked

I had a few BYO Timing Belt kits from BLUAAAA parts and have seem a few tensioner failers, serpentine belt with early wear, and their control arm kits are junk.

I will not do anymore service or repairs with customer supplied BLUA parts. It just turns into an ugly situation when you tell them they have to pay a second time for a service the just paid for.

I have never had a component fail or warranty issue with the OEM timing belt kits that we use at my shop. We probably did over 100 timing belt jobs in the last year and no problems with any of them.

I guess you get what you pay for?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4ringking
I had a few BYO Timing Belt kits from BLUAAAA parts and have seem a few tensioner failers, serpentine belt with early wear, and their control arm kits are junk.

I will not do anymore service or repairs with customer supplied BLUA parts. It just turns into an ugly situation when you tell them they have to pay a second time for a service the just paid for.

I have never had a component fail or warranty issue with the OEM timing belt kits that we use at my shop. We probably did over 100 timing belt jobs in the last year and no problems with any of them.

I guess you get what you pay for?
Funny that you should mention that. My original plan was to buy everything from a dealer parts department. Price was about $800.00 I also planned to buy the tools from Zelenda for about $500. The Blau kit for $550 and tool rental for another $50 seemed like a much better value ($600 vs. $1300) last Summer when my thermostat failed which required me to replace everything as I had to go in there. The big expense saved was renting tools vs. buying them. I plan on having to do two timing belt changes but the rental option of the tools was a much better deal.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Generally I think you may pay a little more but OEM parts are always good.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree with your OEM parts statement but their website says:

"Blauparts 'do it right the first time' Audi timing belt kits help make this critical replacement easier! We've taken decades of Audi timing belt service repair shop experience and developed our ultimate Audi timing belt kits. BLAUfergnugen's independent timing belt service facility can't afford to cut corners on Audi timing belt repair. You don't want your Audi timing belt, tensioner or water pump to fail when you least expect it because of poor quality. Purchase with confidence! The components in these timing belt kits are the very same ones that we use in our service facility on a daily basis. We use nothing but the best in OEM (original equipment manufacturer) quality TüV / ISO 9001 certified timing belt parts. Every part that is put into this kit has been checked to ensure the perfect fit and highest quality. We're confident that after you receive this kit you'll agree that it's the most complete and highest quality one on the market!"

The OEM parts and tool purchase would have been 115% more money.

I know, if the timing belt snaps and there is $10k in engine damage, I'll have wished I had spent the additional $700
Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Let's hope the only corner they obviously cut was serpent belt. I think you should send them that broken belt (half of it, keep the other half for the Court) and ask them why that happened and what are they going to do about it. Also ask for reassurance on timing belt. I hope you will not need it, but just in case.

Timing belt failure wise, it is major but not that catastrophic. It would bend few valves and that's it. Heads off, heads on, gaskets, valves and some quality time with your Audi. Not that I would like to experience it ever.

P.S. Same would happen if one over-rev it. Not that easy with computers in charge, but with all those electronics failures around it doesn't sound so impossible.

Last edited by mishar; 07-05-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Road trip emergency; All who purchased the Blauparts 4.2 D3 timing belt kit take note