A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSE wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default But there in lay the mystery...

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hello Louis & 91Q,

Yes Louis, you would be correct, BUT what Nut is asking is for someone to pinpoint exactly which wire is the ignition switched wire on the RSE main unit plug/harness so that he may tap into and set it up for power when the rest of the vehicle is off, he likes to party in the back seat !!!

So Nut,
As Louis stated, that may be your only way to find that lead, pull the plug and check all the wires and note their reading, then turn on the key and do it again, and pinpoint that wire, then pull the fuse as a double check to test again.

The only plug coming from the wiring harness into the RSE control box is the one I tested; and the wires are hot all of the time. And if, as has been said in threads past, some portion of the Westphalia control box under the battery serves some function as regards the RSE system, I wouldnt know which one(s) to test. There are a lot of wires with that Westphalia module.

I dont know if there is a source for the RSE wiring diagram or not but the issue is moot because I would not know how to read the thing. That's why I am searching for anecdotal info.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Simple question : did you pull the fuse and check the "hot all the time" pins to see if they're still HOT?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default OK, here's the fuse info...

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Simple question : did you pull the fuse and check the "hot all the time" pins to see if they're still HOT?
The two hot wires from the plug to the RSE Control Box are hot even when there is no fuse in the fuse location. The fuse location is hot only with ignition ON. The RSE will not operate with out the fuse. The RSE will not operate with the a fore mention plug unplugged.

Here is a detail I dont understand. In that plug there is a red/white wire and a red/yellow wire. The red/white wire is hot even with the ignition OFF. The red/yellow wire is not hot with the ignition OFF but becomes hot when the ignition is turned ON; and that would seem to identify it as the wire I need, BUT, the red/yellow wire stays hot even when the ignition is then switched OFF.

That is puzzling, I dont understand the connection (no pun intended) and I dont know what eventually causes that wire to return to the switched mode again.

I hope these clues help.