A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber Squeaking Sound - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Squeaking Sound - Help!

2007 SWB 37,000 miles. I hear a rubbery squeaking sound from underneath the car when I go over a bump or dip in the road. It is particularly bad if I go over a speed bump. The sound is not consistent and does not happen every day. It mainly occurs in the front, but I hear it in the back as well. I have had the control arm bushings replaced, but this has not helped. Could it be something with the automatic suspension, since it sounds like rubber coming into contact with something? Apparently my Audi service department is stumped, especially since it never makes this noise when I bring it in for service. My car is still under warranty and I need to get this resolved. Help!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmm, I used to have the exact same thing. Although it was only when going slower speeds around 30mph and under going over some bumps. After replacing the control arm bushings it fully went away. Sorry guy.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Look at the sway bars next...then...

The sway (aka roll or antiroll, depending on who you talk to) bars can make creaking noises like that. They attach directly to the suspension of course in order to work, and they also affect ride stiffness (depending on whether you use std, sport or S8 level bars depending on the model/build).

The sway bars are attached by end links to the suspension arms. The ones in front--a U shaped part that is pretty obvious when you look underneath and that can be seen even with the belly pan in place--are known to wear over time. This part has been used for years on Audi suspensions; probably back into A4's where the design originates generally. My 2000 C5 A6 has the same general part. Pretty easy to buy on line too. They are in the rear in a smaller/simpler form too, though I haven't heard much about those ever being changed.

For reference, my order of checking things in general given my sense of problem areas and anecdotal data from the boards would be:

1. Upper A arm bushings (as you have done)
2. Sway bar bushings
3. All other suspension bushings--lower arms, upper arms at rear, etc.
4. Air shock unit itself (big $$$$)
5. Motor subframe bolt up points

It is also possible a roll bar can make noise at the inner main bolt up points (where it attaches to the subframe)--there is a big rubber bushing there; typically those are lubricated when installed by silicone type greases made for rubber (or vaseline as the poor man's substitute). Also if the bar isn't loaded up before it is tightened down, those bushings can distort and be more prone to noise. Particularly if the roll bar was ever removed (whether directly or due to motor, tranny or subframe work) I would be more suspicious there. Belly pan has to be removed to see those, which are then very obvious from under the motor area.

Last, and most simple: To start, try just buying a can of plain old silicone lubricant--the one with the plastic spray nozzle tip. Start spraying it in places you suspect and then see if the noise goes away sometime when you hear it. If so, you have your culprit. Spray doesn't usually last, but it often quiets it for a time, since it is the classic lubricant for rubber. The way I usually diagnose mystery suspension squeaks. Won't hurt anything and basically just evaporates over time. Have at it--trial and error until you find it.

To be comprehensive, also small outside chance it could be an exhaust hanger; those have rubber elements too. Get under there and give the exhaust system a decent shake--any squeaking and there you have that one figured out.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-12-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The sway (aka roll or antiroll, depending on who you talk to) bars can make creaking noises like that. They attach directly to the suspension of course in order to work, and they also affect ride stiffness (depending on whether you use std, sport or S8 level bars depending on the model/build).

The sway bars are attached by end links to the suspension arms. The ones in front--a U shaped part that is pretty obvious when you look underneath and that can be seen even with the belly pan in place--are known to wear over time. This part has been used for years on Audi suspensions; probably back into A4's where the design originates generally. My 2000 C5 A6 has the same general part. Pretty easy to buy on line too. They are in the rear in a smaller/simpler form too, though I haven't heard much about those ever being changed.

For reference, my order of checking things in general given my sense of problem areas and anecdotal data from the boards would be:

1. Upper A arm bushings (as you have done)
2. Sway bar bushings
3. All other suspension bushings--lower arms, upper arms at rear, etc.
4. Air shock unit itself (big $$$$)
5. Motor subframe bolt up points

It is also possible a roll bar can make noise at the inner main bolt up points (where it attaches to the subframe)--there is a big rubber bushing there; typically those are lubricated when installed by silicone type greases made for rubber (or vaseline as the poor man's substitute). Also if the bar isn't loaded up before it is tightened down, those bushings can distort and be more prone to noise. Particularly if the roll bar was ever removed (whether directly or due to motor, tranny or subframe work) I would be more suspicious there. Belly pan has to be removed to see those, which are then very obvious from under the motor area.

Last, and most simple: To start, try just buying a can of plain old silicone lubricant--the one with the plastic spray nozzle tip. Start spraying it in places you suspect and then see if the noise goes away sometime when you hear it. If so, you have your culprit. Spray doesn't usually last, but it often quiets it for a time, since it is the classic lubricant for rubber. The way I usually diagnose mystery suspension squeaks. Won't hurt anything and basically just evaporates over time. Have at it--trial and error until you find it.

To be comprehensive, also small outside chance it could be an exhaust hanger; those have rubber elements too. Get under there and give the exhaust system a decent shake--any squeaking and there you have that one figured out.
When installing the Air Ride Compressor and Valve Unit is when I noticed the Upper Control Arm Bushings were worn down and ordered 4 of them. I figured that this had to be Culprit to the Mysterious Creeking/Squeaking Noise which sounds as if it is coming from right behind the Dash Board. The funny thing is that it is more pronounced in the Cold Weather Months and not bad in Warmer Season. However, it was easy to see while I had the Wheel Well Covers off and since it is located up high (Upper) I figured it had to be the reason why. It never crossed my mind to look at all the other Bushings. It sounds like I should go some where and get a Free Suspension Inspection to see if there is anything else before I spend the money to get the Upper Bushings Pressed! Laters,

williebone