A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 "will be gone in a few yrs"- Interesting when columnists don't know what they're talking about...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S8 "will be gone in a few yrs"- Interesting when columnists don't know what they're talking about...

Regarding the 'S8'

"The Audi S8 is a great looking car (priced at $120K), but it's an Audi. Volkswagen made the same blunder when it introduced the Volkswagen Phaeton. People didn't pay a Mercedes price for a Volkswagen and they won't pay a Maserati price for an Audi either. Despite the fact that the car has a Lamborghini V10 under the hood, people aren't going to buy it (not very many), and the car will be gone in a few years.

What probably happened is some well-meaning consulting firm told Audi that their multi-million dollar research says that people would buy a high-end Audi for 120k. Maybe they came to this conclusion themselves. Here's some free advice for Audi that I gave to Volkswagen about the Phaeton (only I wasn't there to tell them). "People don't pay big bucks for pseudo-exotic cars." People don't pay 120K for an Audi. "<ul><li><a href="http://www.russpage.net/the-problem-with-audi/#comments">Russell Page</a></li></ul>
Old 02-06-2007, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it will probably go the way of the Bentley! LOL
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well....

Well, I paid $113,500 for a fully loaded 2007 S8. That's exactly what I paid for my 2006 Porsche Carrera S coupe with X51 package. Guess which car I like better? Yes, the S8. Audi has come a long way. And Porsche could learn a lot about ergonomics from Audi. Thank goodness Audi made the S8. I LOVE MINE and have no regrets!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default $120k? maybe with audi exclusive options.

nearly every statement or thought in that article is wrong. sad.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 AM

Default I replied...my comment is still under review...I was so pissed reading such idiotic comments.

BTW the E63 may be fast...but only in a straight line. It's 3 secs slower than the S6 at the track.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "Columnist" might be giving this guy too much credit.

It's just another blog after all. Still, you would have thought he might have done just a little research first. That said, it is a fact that Audi is still not perceived in the same way as MB and BMW in the USA. I kinda like it...and have thought Audi is indeed the "best kept secret" in the luxury car field.

Even now, when I tell friends about my incredible new S6 I see this quizzical look on their face. Then I add that it is Audi's version of AMG and M cars and they get it!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I read your reply Alex and I was cheering for you all the way.

I think PeterC6 is right. We are giving this guy too much credit. He is just writing based on his perception only without much knowledge about Audi. The thing is perceptions are not facts and he was writing based on wrong facts. He was kind enough to try to offer some "free advice" to Audi though. What a moron...........that's just my perception.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have not been so mad in months! posted comments under Audi Fan

Guy deserves worst than what i wrote.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:09 AM
d9
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Its only new money who think this

People who become new money immediately go to MB or BMW. But people who actually earned their cash the "normal way" regard Audi as an option right up there with the other Germans. A lot of middle class looks at Audi the same way beause at my church where everyone has a Ford or Chevy everyone gives big compliments on my Audis and said if they had the $$ they would glaly take on of these over a Lexus or even a Mercedes.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its NOT only "new money" as you say.

Gross generalizations such as yours dont fly. There are equal #s on both sides. Are you spending too much time in church???

Quick Reply: S8 "will be gone in a few yrs"- Interesting when columnists don't know what they're talking about...