A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 Consideration!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S8 Consideration!

Hello everyone, i'm new here, i drive BMW X5M and Mercedes S class, we have decided to sell S class and i think i will go for S8.

I have wanted S8 for a long time now, but i decided to become part of this community and ask couple of questions since i have never owned Audi.

1. What is the difference between the front fog lights on S8? Which is considered more expensive? or lets say more exclusive, the round ones or more rectangle square like ones? whats the difference?

2. How come on 2007 models the nav screen frame is matt plastic and on 08 and 09 models its nice gloss finish?

3. what should i worry about when deaing with S8, on my X and on S class i know exactly what i need to watch out for, so what are the common problems on S8? maybe suspension...eectronics and so on.

4. How come in U.S. S8 does not get ventilated cooled seats? this is the exact reason i decided to buy one from Germany instead of States.

Thanks in advance and i hope to become an actve member of this community
Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1. 2008-2009 models have the rectangle fog-lights, they are newer, and most consider them more attractive i think. They are NOT a direct fit to a pre 2008 bumper, tough the surrounging plastics seem to be. So if needed to retrofit, you will have to cut plastic and modify the fittings.

2. One of the sc. later facelift things is the gloss thing around the screen, this identifies the car has MMI 3G, so the newer entertainment system. This is an expensive part to retrofit (over 5-6k$ in parts)

3. Suspension could have air-leaks as all air suspensions are prone to, but no great problem on these cars. The V10 FSI engine in the S8 has carbon build-up problems in the intake runners due to the direct fuel injection. The W12 hasn't got this problem. The driveline is quite solid in these cars, no bigger problems at least yet with the gearbox or engine.

4. No idea about this stuff, maybe available only in the W12... tough these cars can/could be ordered with practically any options from the factory, so there should be some in the US... if the dealer hasn't decided to "ban" a S8 + ventilated seat option.

Definetly recommend a W12 instead of the S8 V10, the price range is the same, but the W12 offers more torque and more real-life performance, and has usually better options. Tough the S8 is sportier if you only require that. Both are quite as big gas guzzlers.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply...very helpfull.

i was considering S8 over W12 because it has lambo engine and sounds great, but when i was doing some research i found that W12 has much nicer interior and more options such as standart vent seats and so on, it is even longer i guess. when i was looking at cars from Germany they are for sure more optioned, and interior and exterior i think is way nicer then U.S. versions.

Also mirrores on S8 are exclusive compair to W12 and front end is nicer i guess. i deffinity will go for one of them. I also like the carbon trim on S8, W12 mostly have wood trim for luxurious feel i guess

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
1. 2008-2009 models have the rectangle fog-lights, they are newer, and most consider them more attractive i think. They are NOT a direct fit to a pre 2008 bumper, tough the surrounging plastics seem to be. So if needed to retrofit, you will have to cut plastic and modify the fittings.

2. One of the sc. later facelift things is the gloss thing around the screen, this identifies the car has MMI 3G, so the newer entertainment system. This is an expensive part to retrofit (over 5-6k$ in parts)

3. Suspension could have air-leaks as all air suspensions are prone to, but no great problem on these cars. The V10 FSI engine in the S8 has carbon build-up problems in the intake runners due to the direct fuel injection. The W12 hasn't got this problem. The driveline is quite solid in these cars, no bigger problems at least yet with the gearbox or engine.

4. No idea about this stuff, maybe available only in the W12... tough these cars can/could be ordered with practically any options from the factory, so there should be some in the US... if the dealer hasn't decided to "ban" a S8 + ventilated seat option.

Definetly recommend a W12 instead of the S8 V10, the price range is the same, but the W12 offers more torque and more real-life performance, and has usually better options. Tough the S8 is sportier if you only require that. Both are quite as big gas guzzlers.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If same model year, W12 and S8 have the same front end (led-DRL and so on), the led-DRL:s inside the headlights are the thing that distinguish the top of the line models from the V8 and V6 models.

Or if you mean the little edge on the lower end of the bumper, that's standard on the S8 and S-line models, so later on (like 2007/8->) it could be ordered with any engine as an option.

The mirrors are also same, the S8 has just the covers painted silver instead of body color.

There you are right, that the S8 has carbon trim inside, but to me it looks just like a $150k boy-racer with that... i don't mind the wood, i like it, much warmer feeling.

The euro spec W12 has certainly not got almost anything in options over the S8, other than electric rear sundblinds, adjustable lumbar support in the backseat and rear AC (as i think all L-models have), tough the S8 always has rear AC too, if i remember right. Both usually have solar-cell roof.

Adaptive cruise-control has been option for both, at least in 2006-7, not sure of 2008-9.

In terms of exterior colors, the S8 has been available in pearl-white, and with white/black interior as "individual option", which i haven't encountered in W12 models, except for one re-painted W12.

Tough the S8 is always SWB, the W12 has been available at least in italy and other south-european countries as SWB, but most are LWB. (Long and Short WheelBase)

And remember that the W12 has always the 4-spoke heated steering wheel, and the S8 always the NOT-heated 3-spoke sport wheel.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I was in the same boat as you deciding. But I went for the w12 and I don't regret it. The s8s I found weren't loaded enough for the price and the car besides the engine wasn't different enough from my 4.2.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Until an S8L is released, I'd get a W12. That said, I just used my son's TT for a coffee & donut run. One helluva car with a stick and twin intercoolers. A new loaded one may be my retirement car. No need for an R8.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is what i'm aming for, options such as this!!!!!!

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...rt=ALSO_EXPORT
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What special options you see there, except that ridiculous color combination with carbon fiber accents? Not to mention that amplifier in the trunk and aftermarket exhaust.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

no comment

Originally Posted by mishar
What special options you see there, except that ridiculous color combination with carbon fiber accents? Not to mention that amplifier in the trunk and aftermarket exhaust.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up an S8 and couldn't be happier...I had looked at a W12 (2006) model but I wanted the look and feel of the S8.

I also came from the BMW world...but my S4 was my introduction to Audi world (pun intended)

Quick Reply: S8 Consideration!