A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 and increasing gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 and increasing gas prices

Hello,

I have been looking at getting a used 2008 S8 and with prediction that gas price will keep climbing, I am now considering changing my mind and getting a 2011 550i (same price range). I am not concerned with the cost of operating the car (i.e. price of gas while I own the car), I am concerned that if prices go up, reselling the S8 (even as a used car) will be close to impossible without taking a huge bath (I don't want to be like people who owned Hummer when price went up a few years ago).

It is true that S8 has dismissal gas mileage to say the least (14 city, 19 hw and 15 combined). Not many cars have worst. The 550i is 17 city, 25 hw, 20 comnined.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

You are buying a car today and already thinking of selling it?

Buy it, enjoy it, and be ready to loose 30% the first 2 years plus 10% each additional year. This is a very conservative estimate, but a good ballpark to work with.

Example: if you buy it for $50K today, you can sell it for $35K in 2 years, or $30K in 3 years, or $25K in 4 years.

The cost of gas will determine if you loose or don't loose $1K at the end. IMO, it is not worth the worry.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wassup
Hello,

I have been looking at getting a used 2008 S8 and with prediction that gas price will keep climbing, I am now considering changing my mind and getting a 2011 550i (same price range). I am not concerned with the cost of operating the car (i.e. price of gas while I own the car), I am concerned that if prices go up, reselling the S8 (even as a used car) will be close to impossible without taking a huge bath (I don't want to be like people who owned Hummer when price went up a few years ago).

It is true that S8 has dismissal gas mileage to say the least (14 city, 19 hw and 15 combined). Not many cars have worst. The 550i is 17 city, 25 hw, 20 comnined.

What are your thoughts?
I promise the depreciation will be greater on the new car than the 3 year old car regardless of the gas mileage.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't buy cars like this for resale value anyhow. Otherwise, no one would buy an S8/ A8. Look at what just 5 year old models are going for compared to new.

I'd get the car you think you'd like the most and I think you'd like the S8 over the 550i. IMO, the interior of the 5 looks like my 04' Grand Prix. The Audi's interior is literally like 5 times nicer than the bimmer.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy a car to last. Buy one you'll enjoy and drive into the ground, not one your already looking for its selling value. That's the problem with everything and everyone today they just get new things instead of taking care of a their investments. If you buy these luxury cars you must incorporate their depreciation along with gas prices and maintenance. It'd be dumb not too. Regardless the fact the 5 series along with the whole lineup is ugly IMO, they've strayed away from what was working for them to fit the typical businessman with no sense of taste, just looking for the BMW badge. Look at what Acura did to their lineup, anyone who buys a new Acura with that front end must be blind!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend. -Jim Glickenhaus
Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EHLO
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend. -Jim Glickenhaus
I like this one. Good quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

this. is. awesome.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I made sure mine was completely used up before I got rid of her and got a new one!

(The car, I mean...)
Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Best

Line

Ever.

I've said it before, I'll put as many miles as I can on a car I own. I never understood why some buy some really nice vehicles and only "drive them on Sunday". Even Ferrari's or Lamborghini's.

Quick Reply: S8 and increasing gas prices