A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security Glass = Zero Break-in Protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Glass = Zero Break-in Protection

Want to share a story about security-glass on the A8.

Like a dumb-a*s, I left a nice DeWalt Drill in plain view on the floor of my back seat of my 2006 A8L, which has the security glass. I parked car in a very visible and high traffic area during broad daylight, went into a store, came out exactly 7 minutes later and my car had been broken into.

This is how they did it. First they tried to break rear driver's side window, looks like with a ball peen hammer or other sharp instrument. The glass didn't break, but spider-web cracked. They hit it twice, then went to passenger rear and tried the same thing -- still didn't break or puncture.

Then apparently they got some crow bars, and dug into the seals around the front passenger window and literally pulled the glass out by BENDING the glass back until it snapped -- snapped it basically horizontally down the middle of the window. Then they folded it back and climbed in and stole some things.

I assume that this was done in less than 5 minutes. When I came out there was no alarm sounding on my car (despite it having been locked).

I have no delusion that the glass is break in proof, but the ease and speed with which the car was broken into leads me to believe the the biggest benefit to the so-called security glass is sound dampening, and less security.

Fortunately I have a low insurance deductible. Each window cost over $400, excluding labor. Over $2000 for repair, including seals and aluminum door trim. Fortunately door frame itself was not bent.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

People nowadays. That's terrible to hear. Where were you at? I sometimes leave some really dumb stuff visible, including my radar detector or even a camera right in the front seat sitting there. Regardless I've only heard of one time when at Mongolian Barbeque that a friends window was smashed on his Buick to steal his GPS. Sorry you had to go through that man.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default sounds to me like the very definition of "security"...

'Bullet Proof' glass is not actually bullet'proof',but rather it is bullet resistant. If a bullet proof window is shot enough times it wll fail. The value of bullet proof glass is that it gives one the opportunity to flee the sceen after being shot at in one's armoured A8.

And your experience demonstrates the outstanding security provided by Audi's 'Security Glass'. The A8's windows are obviously not inteneded to withstand any possible assault,and be thereby break-in proof, but when you take into account all that it took to breach your car, it seems quite certain that if some one comes up to your car while you are inside and tries to get at you by smashing the window, they would not succeed. After the first blow (or two at the most) you would hit the accelerator and be gone..and the fact that they could go so far as to use a hammer and still be unsuccessful makes me feel very secure behind my Security Glass.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed,
It's security glass not break in protection glass. Just imagine if you didn't have the windows. Not only that but it'll help if you were in a crash probably as well. I really really wish I had the security windows as that's one of the options I wanted and my A8 didn't have. Mainly for road noise and bragging rights
Old 12-15-2021, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I never revieled the secret to getting the windows out... You can kick them out from the inside eisily it breaks the window at the bottom and damaged the trim but just folds out even though in one piece it's intentional for escape perpose I guess the thieves worked out thares no retainer and pulled the glass edge , figgered this out by having the car go flat whilst I slept in it , ok the rac turn up they have no key for the boot (no battery terminals under bonnet ) the doors double locked windows wound up the rac call Audi he tells me kick the window out he jumps the battery after I opened the boot, car works spot on neded new trim and window.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't you go to a junk yard? You should be fixed on the road for less than $100. If you don't like junk yards just eBay the things for a total of around $300. If you are taking a D3 car to the dealer you will be very poor soon.