A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously looking at this D3. Anyone w/ personal knowledge of it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously looking at this D3. UPDATE: Bought it. Added 1st week impressions

Here's a link to the dealer ad:
http://www.njluxurymotors.com/detail...d-6828404.html

Can't figure out how to post a link as I haven't posted since the AW format change. The D3 QuattroWorld forum is dead, though the D2 yielded some help.

Anyway, I put a small deposit down on this D3 today with the sale and deposit contingent on a successful PPI by the local Audi dealer.
It seems this has most options including the seemingly rare sport package.
I've been driving Audis for 17 years, but am new to the D3. I've been reading up on them the last couple of days, and haven't been surprised by anything yet.

I going to talk to the Audi dealer prior to the PPI to put in specific requests. Other than the typical 'looksee' they do, anything in particular I should tell them to check?
Having 73.5k miles, I doubt the timing belt has been done. The dealer/seller told me it had Bluetooth but I'm not sure yet. The PPI will help me identify if it's a late '05 or not.

As a shot in the dark, it would be cool if someone here owned this vehicle to get the 'skinny'.

I've owned an allroad and replaced the airsprings a couple of times. Is the system similar? Arnott provides a reliable, lifetime-warranty aftermarket airspring for the allroad application which is nice, but I'm not sure there's an A8 version; gotta check that.

Any info is appreciated. I'll keep searching the forums gathering info.
(I need to change my sigpic. It's way outdated.)

Last edited by AudiOx; 06-21-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Just an FYI as you are not that familiar with the D3; That car does not have fron seat massage or dual rear climate controls.

Nice looking car though. If the tires are good then that's a good price assuming the vehicle is mechanically sound.

My electric air compressor for the suspension failed at around 70,000 miles. First air spring failed at about 125,000 miles. This is on my '04.

Read the many threads here about timing belt replacement. I replaced mine at about 120,000 miles only because the $20 thermostat failed and I had to remove everything to get to the thermostat. Otherwise I was going for 150,000 miles.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good info. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Just an FYI as you are not that familiar with the D3; That car does not have fron seat massage or dual rear climate controls.
Noted. Not a biggie for me, but good to know, and no, I was unaware of that.

If the tires are good then that's a good price assuming the vehicle is mechanically sound.
Tire condition will definitely be on the PPI list. No doubt the 19"s are more pricey than the 17"s and 18"s I'm accustomed to.
I feel good about the price. It's actually listed for $21900 on other websites like lemonfree.org and we agreed on a price a little lower that that. Hopefully the PPI will give me a clear decision one way or the other.

My electric air compressor for the suspension failed at around 70,000 miles. First air spring failed at about 125,000 miles. This is on my '04.
Read the many threads here about timing belt replacement. I replaced mine at about 120,000 miles only because the $20 thermostat failed and I had to remove everything to get to the thermostat. Otherwise I was going for 150,000 miles.
That's not bad at all. 120k for timing belt replacement? Sounds really 'late'. I'm accustomed to 80kmiles on the 2.7t. My allroad airsprings (1 each) died at 40k, 60k and 70k or similar until I put in the Arnotts. That was my only real issue with the allroad. Never had compressor issues.

BTW, I checked the Arnott site and they only have applications currently for the allroad and Q7.

Last edited by AudiOx; 06-03-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks exactly like mine. Except for steering wheel that I like and wheels that I don't.

Check the color (next to spare wheel). It looks like LZ7R with some exotic name like Northern Blue. That one is listed as 2004 production. If it is so there is no Bluetooth. Retrofitting is $500+.

Check Tire Pressure under CAR > SYSTEMS > TIRE PRESSURE. If it is not there then somebody turned it off because wheel sensors are dead. That's another $400-$600.

Timing belt service is officially close. That's $2000+ at the dealer.

Bushings at upper front links could be easily broken. That would be another $500+.

Brake rotors and pads are another $1500+ if rotors are close to 32mm minimum thickness.

Tires are not that expensive if you go for the Continental's (currently best rated), but you may insist on Michelin's. That would be $2000+

You can do this things somewhere else or yourself for way less, but we are not talking about that now.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

There are several archived threads here about the timing belt replacement interval.

I go back to my long gone 5 cylinder Audi's which had timing belts and no replacement interval. Basically I was told by a dealer replace when broken but inspect periodically. One of them was replaced at 225,000 miles when the water pump started leaking. The other one may have lasted until I donated the car to charity with at least 225,000 miles.

The D3 (and D2) A8's require major front end disassembly to replace the timing belt. Dealer charges have reanged from $1600 to $2300 for the job which does include Water Pump, thermostat, belt tensioner and idler pulleys. Because of this I am not fond of replacing a belt at 75,000 miles on a car I intend to have at least 300,000 miles on before I donate it. I inspected my belt periodically and it looked fine. Even when I removed it at 120k, It appeared to be good and I would have went to 150,000 miles.

Of course this is not what Audi recommends so follow my advice at your own risk of peril.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy this one instead!

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2806931
Old 06-04-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Of course this is not what Audi recommends so follow my advice at your own risk of peril.
By all means, but it is good to know. Only in this case we have to be as strict as possible. It's not easy to sell A8 these days. Especially with major service oncoming soon.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by S8code3
Sure! Two for one!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I'd go for the amaretto interior. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful however the driver's seat appears to be fading to a different shade of tan than the other seats and the stuff is absolutely impossible to find used.

Tan and gray wear the worst and show the most dirt. Black doesn't look as luxurious as the amaretto but if I do another A8 it will have an all black interior.

Nothing to do with this specific car really. I just saw the interior and thought about mine.

Other than that, in my opinion (at least in the Chicago area) 23,500 for an 05' is on the high side.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike_k
If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I'd go for the amaretto interior. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful however the driver's seat appears to be fading to a different shade of tan than the other seats and the stuff is absolutely impossible to find used.
Tan and gray wear the worst and show the most dirt. Black doesn't look as luxurious as the amaretto but if I do another A8 it will have an all black interior.
Tough one for me. I had full black in my S4 and yes it wore well, but it's hot and just doesn't look as luxurious as you mentioned. I'm not a fan of the gray. The caramel in my D2 (similar to the amaretto) is doing very well for 185kmiles. The color took a while to grow on me, but mostly because of the dark brown dash and carpet with the black exterior (not my first choice). If the sale goes through, I'll keep an eye out for fading. Good info.

Originally Posted by Mike_k
Other than that, in my opinion (at least in the Chicago area) 23,500 for an 05' is on the high side.
They have it for $21900 on other sites (lemonfree and others) and I talked him down a bit more. I would not have entertained $23k+. The sport package is hard to find, and I prefer the 5 spoke 'RS6' wheels to the more common 12 spokes or the fat 5's so I was willing to pay a little more for that. Otherwise I would've bought some new wheels.

Quick Reply: Seriously looking at this D3. Anyone w/ personal knowledge of it?