A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously looking at this D3. Anyone w/ personal knowledge of it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased the car, and it will be shipped in the next couple of days to Atlanta.

I got a PPI done at Jack Daniels Audi and there were no issues.
-The air suspension, control arms, tierods, and CV boots were all solid. (some control arm work was done in 2009)
-No trunk issues.
-It needs tires very soon (so that will be $900ish)
-The driver's front daytime running light bulb was out (almost a deal breaker hehe)
-The mileage correlates well to date, and all the services appear to have been done though the last record is at 59kmiles I believe.

I just got a quote for $1700 to do the 75k service (which matches quotes listed on here) though I may wait at least a little bit to get a feel for the car and understand what devils it may or may not have.
I'd really like to learn to do the timing belt myself. I'm mechanically capable but haven't undertaken that yet; I definitely NOT a mechanic. I've done a radiator replacment (on my D2), and suspension and brake work in the past (on my B5 S4).

It's always fun learning about a 'new' Audi model on the forums.

Thanks for the help folks.

Last edited by AudiOx; 06-09-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I find it crazy that they would sell the car without doing the service/ including it in your price. Should have negotiated down a bit for all that. Upon buying my previous used cars I've had them fix all the scratches, small things etc. Including that light bulb. It's the point of it all, not the money.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations! You will love it.

P.S. Didn't mention Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Does it work?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Congrats! Since you're mechanically inclined, Using the Bentley manual on CD along with the Blauparts kit and tool rental, you should have no problem doiing it yourself. You have probably read I went about 120k before the thermostat failed so that's when I did it. I instected the belt periodically up to that point.

Enjoy your new toy.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Brozee
I find it crazy that they would sell the car without doing the service/ including it in your price. Should have negotiated down a bit for all that. Upon buying my previous used cars I've had them fix all the scratches, small things etc. Including that light bulb. It's the point of it all, not the money.
Yes, if it was an Audi dealer, that probably would have happened, but it's not. Also, if I know what I know now about the 75k service, I would have asked about it.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Congrats! Since you're mechanically inclined, Using the Bentley manual on CD along with the Blauparts kit and tool rental, you should have no problem doiing it yourself. You have probably read I went about 120k before the thermostat failed so that's when I did it. I instected the belt periodically up to that point.

Enjoy your new toy.
Yes, it seems a lot of folks have gone way past the 'recommended' timing belt replacement mileage. There's a guy a work that LOVES working on cars (and it considering buying my D2). I'll probably enlist him to help with the timing belt change.
I'll get the oil changed first thing as I do with all my used car purchases. At that point, I'll get a hands on inspection. My local dealer always lets me go in the service bay to verify their inspection. I really like and trust my service guy. He comes out for car talk each time. I appreciate that.

Though I prefer the Quattroworld site for the allroad, D2, and offtopic forums, but the Audiworld D3 forum is MUCH more active. I look forward to hanging out here and soaking up the knowledge.
The D3 will be here Monday.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOx
Yes, it seems a lot of folks have gone way past the 'recommended' timing belt replacement mileage. There's a guy a work that LOVES working on cars (and it considering buying my D2). I'll probably enlist him to help with the timing belt change.
I'll get the oil changed first thing as I do with all my used car purchases. At that point, I'll get a hands on inspection. My local dealer always lets me go in the service bay to verify their inspection. I really like and trust my service guy. He comes out for car talk each time. I appreciate that.

Though I prefer the Quattroworld site for the allroad, D2, and offtopic forums, but the Audiworld D3 forum is MUCH more active. I look forward to hanging out here and soaking up the knowledge.
The D3 will be here Monday.
When I bought my D3 used in December, 2005 I bought a filter and eight quarts of oil. I had the Bentley manual on order so I went to change the oil myself. The owner's manual provides no information other than "we recommend you have your dealer do it" malarkey.

I actually gave up trying to find the filter can and just changed the gooey oil.

After posting here I got the scoop which basically is remove the air filter and complete airbox. Bend back the heat shield and there you will find the Mann-Hummel oil filter canister. I changed the oil (again) and the filter a week later.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
....After posting here I got the scoop which basically is remove the air filter and complete airbox. Bend back the heat shield and there you will find the Mann-Hummel oil filter canister. I changed the oil (again) and the filter a week later.
That is nuts! Something else I have to read up on now. Time to get a Bentley on order (Rosstech is out of stock).....and I think I'll finally bite the bullet and get a RossTech VagCom. With the D3, it appears you pretty much have to recode when you rotate the tires, get gas, and of course if you adjust the rearview mirror.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time to get a Bentley on order (Rosstech is out of stock).....and I think I'll finally bite the bullet and get a RossTech VagCom.
silverd2 posted this link over in the D2 forum for Bentley manuals:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ir_manual.html

Good price, make sure that is the correct year for you though.

Yes, if it was an Audi dealer, that probably would have happened, but it's not. Also, if I know what I know now about the 75k service, I would have asked about it.
Same here. And since I bought mine from my brother at little over his cost I couldn't complain too much!
I see tons of these models right at the service interval listed on all the for sale websites.
Don't be afraid to negotiate in future guys, it's no different than buying a house with a bad roof - take it off the offer price or have it done before you buy.

As an aside tires can be a negotiating issue too.
A friend just bought a C6 with damn near brand new Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires on it. If they weren't decent tires I would have told him to go lower on the offer.
I had to replace 5 new Nexen's (shudder) right off the bat on my D3. Again refer to where I bought it
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I got the A8L this morning! She's a beaut'.
I love the Oyster gray with the Amaretto so no regrets there.
Love the paddle shifters; I am much more likely to use those than switching over to tiptronic with the shift handle. Yummy.

There are a few nicks here and there, but all the bells and whistles seem to work so far: MMI screen, power rear shade, power trunk, etc. I haven't tried the suspension settings yet. The PPI confirmed those are ok, but I'm still anxious to try it out and compare to my allroad, knowing that's a different beast all together.

I'm excited to get out my fine tooth comb and toothbrush to get a full inspection of the car above and beyond the Audi PPI.

Got the Rosstech VAGCom and Bentley shipping out this week so I'm sure I'll have all sorts of questions soon.

Quick Reply: Seriously looking at this D3. Anyone w/ personal knowledge of it?