A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver "soft" dashboard trim piece

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silver "soft" dashboard trim piece

I believe many of us have a similar problem. The silver trim piece that goes across the dashboard is a uneven and shows "push marks" from prior mechanics assembling it too forcefully.

Has anybody tried to remove it and "fix" it? Is there a trick to re-assembling it to avoid repeating the same mistake?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 511 Posts

The notorious dash trim... I literally never take it off unless I have my hardware store two-part injector tube supply of 5 minute epoxy on hand. Net, remove it carefully with plastic trim pry tools AFTER taking off the card drawer little trim piece and start with your hardware store ingenuity and some epoxy.

Mine has no dents in it, and it comes off by using standard plastic trim panel pry tools you can find on sites on line. You also have to take the trim off the little card drawer before you remove the strip--a hidden gotcha. That comes off just by having the drawer open and sliding the trim toward the passenger side window a bit.

The large trim strip is just held in by clips, but the clips are in turn heat welded to the plastic backing of it. (I'm trying to be sure I remember the D3 since my C5 A6 had a similar finnicky piece). They tend to come off their melt on rivet points. There are a few small screws that hold the button and light assembly on from the back, and the plastic into which those screw in can crack. The end result of too much of this stuff being broken is it gets flimsy, sticks out a bit and then moves under finger pressure.

The basic fix--assuming you don't want to spend $300 or try to find one somehow used that isn't similarly in poor shape--is to remove it carefully. Don't flex the strip as you pry it off any more than absolutely necessary or more of this retainer stuff can shear. Then collect up all the miscellaneous clips left behind in the dash behind it by prying them out w/ a small screwdriver and remembering where they were compared to the back of the strip. Search out carefully where they should go and test fit/check to be sure there isn't prior glue or something you need to clean up a bit with a sharp blade. Then get the 5 minute epoxy and go to work, including in the area where the button and light assembly is if needed at the screw points. I'm forgetting now as between the D3 and the prior Audi but some clips may just need to be refit into dash if they are the toothed grab type and stay latched on the back of the strip. The little retaining ear of one side of my switch assembly was also partially missing (where the screw goes through) so I got a tiny stainless washer for it from the H/W store along the way. That captured enough of the remaining plastic under the screw head to hold that part of the switch assembly down more firmly.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-05-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The notorious dash trim... I literally never take it off unless I have my hardware store two-part injector tube supply of 5 minute epoxy on hand.

Mine has no dents in it, and it comes off by using standard plastic trim panel pry tools you can find on sites on line. You also have to take the trim off the little card drawer before you remove the strip--a hidden gotcha. That comes off just by having the drawer open and sliding the trim toward the passenger side window a bit.
Thank you MP. I did see that card drawer removal:

It does state about being extra careful on the drivers side. I guess i'll try to remove it and then carefully try to push or tap it out from the inside before re-installing. Will be challenging (the making it nice and round again)....

On the idea of buying a new one, turns out the color matching of the "silver" trim is very, very challenging. I have bought literally 4 or 5 units on eBay to fix my drivers side trim (where the prior owner's seat belt made dents). Had to send them all back, even when from the same model year. The color is just off enough to make it look goofy.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by carl viking
Thank you MP. I did see that card drawer removal:

It does state about being extra careful on the drivers side. I guess i'll try to remove it and then carefully try to push or tap it out from the inside before re-installing. Will be challenging (the making it nice and round again)....

On the idea of buying a new one, turns out the color matching of the "silver" trim is very, very challenging. I have bought literally 4 or 5 units on eBay to fix my drivers side trim (where the prior owner's seat belt made dents). Had to send them all back, even when from the same model year. The color is just off enough to make it look goofy.
Probably a fade issue. You may have to replace all trim to get a match. Or, find one faded enough to match.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting

Seems like mine has been removed before, and broken.

There were no clips at all. There was two strips of velcro attached to the "green" back of the trim and then glued to the dash support. Which may explain the push marks, I guess the mechanic needed to push hard enough for the velcro to grip.

Hmm, don't think I can fix this without buying a new one, which I won't do. I think I'll live with the minor annoyance.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Have a look on eBay.
Plenty of used ones out there.
Just shop carefully and ask question of condition
Old 12-18-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly off topic but I've always wanted to know...what the heck is that little card tray drawer for? I thought about putting our registration/insurance card there (size of a US credit card) but I am not convinced it won't work its way back and into the dash.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 511 Posts

For business cards as far as official reason. Of course since these were commonly chauffeur driven company cars in the Vaterland when new, it wasn't even well thought out by the Germans. Was the personal driver was supposed to hand his card to the next CEO in waiting, or maybe the CEO in the back couldn't be bothered to get his hands dirty with his own cards?

For owners in real estate, ambulance chasers or those who sell "goods" out of their car, still maybe useful for original function. Of course if the latter, probably no card anyway but maybe other uses...
Old 12-18-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
For business cards as far as official reason. Of course since these were commonly chauffeur driven company cars in the Vaterland when new, it wasn't even well thought out by the Germans. Was the personal driver was supposed to hand his card to the next CEO in waiting, or maybe the CEO in the back couldn't be bothered to get his hands dirty with his own cards?

For owners in real estate, ambulance chasers or those who sell "goods" out of their car, still maybe useful for original function. Of course if the latter, probably no card anyway but maybe other uses...
I thought it was for credit cards? It even has the little magnetic stripe on the symbol...

Old 12-18-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by storka
Have a look on eBay.
Plenty of used ones out there.
Just shop carefully and ask question of condition
yes, that is a good idea. I went down that path for trying to get a new door piece (since the first owner did the classic "seat belt shuffle"). After sending back 5 or 6 pieces I gave up.
Turns out the definition of silver is different from year to year and even from the same year cars there was differences. And since it butts up to the piece in the dash, every little shade difference shows.
May also be related to fading of the color, who knows?

But maybe I can but a piece and transfer the attachment points. That's likely a better approach...

Last edited by carl viking; 12-21-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Silver "soft" dashboard trim piece