A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sliming Your A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only caveat I would add is to make sure the car in dynamic mode before selecting jacking mode, then as soon as it taken out of jacking mode, to set it to raise to high. This will ensure air is pushed into the spring forcing the slime in as well and reducing the risk of any returning up the feed pipe.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edd W
The only caveat I would add is to make sure the car in dynamic mode before selecting jacking mode, then as soon as it taken out of jacking mode, to set it to raise to high. This will ensure air is pushed into the spring forcing the slime in as well and reducing the risk of any returning up the feed pipe.
To add to that, I would leave it in Lift Mode and stay under 50 MPH to prevent Lowering and pushing Air back into the Lines. The longer you leave it in that mode the better your chances of the compound adhearing to the inner walls of the Struts. Laters,
Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As another follow-up. It's been a couple of weeks now and my A8 suspension is working fine. My Allroad has been on Slime for well over a year now...

I placed the suspension in Jack mode, then using the car's hand jack jacked up the suspension up enough to gain easy access to the top of the spring. Then pulled right front air sping line off (pretty easy with a 10mm open-end wrench)and shot the Slim in. Replaced the fitting, lowered the car, the deflated spring will bottom out. Then started the car and put the suspension in Standard mode and the spring came up a usual. Finally I kook the car out for a drive on varied roads just to work the Slime in.

It seems reasonable that when these springs leak that the failure occures at the bottom of the unit where bladder is pushing/rubbing/rolling against the metal base. Natually the Slime settles down down to the bottom and does its thing. I doubt seriously that the system ever vents air from a spring fast enough to carry any of the Slime out, besides the air fitting is at the top of spring, the Slime of course settles at the bottom. Also if the leak formed elseshere, say the top or sides I doubt the strategy would work very well.

Don