A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Bleeders for flushing/bleeding brakes, anyone use them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Speed Bleeders for flushing/bleeding brakes, anyone use them?

Was searching for some better tools for single-man brake fluid flushing/bleeding and discovered these little devices. They have been around for a while, just new to me. They are bleeder values with a built-in check valve. Therefore, when the bleeder is open fluid goes out, but air doesn't go in. You only open them once, bleed the brake fluid by pumping the brakes several times until air bubbles are gone or new fluid is pumped through, then tighten the bleeder. I typically use a different color fluid so its easy to see when the entire line is flushed.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Anyway, I thought they were a cleaver solution to a routine maintenance issue and wondered if others had any experience.

Have good holiday weekend.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Interesting, but you still need somebody to watch for bubbles and pore some Brake fluid. Piece of thin transparent hose dipped into jar with some brake fluid is anyways necessary and have same function.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've known guys who have used them, but personally, I don't really see the point. As Mishar pointed out, you still need to inspect what comes out of the bleeders (primarily for air bubbles, but also to watch for debris/ quality of fluid coming out).

I haven't bled brakes without a pressure bleeder since I can remember, and with a pressure bleeders, this is a one person job anyway.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They look OK, but quite expensive. Can't you just get those cheap 12" clear tube with a ball valve in one end to put in a jar and a securing clip to hold it on the nipple?
After first time, I can do these A8 Brakes just in lift mode, lying on a mat.
Remove the gauze from the reservoir and clean it and suck the reservoir dry.
Replace the gauze (it helps shop bubbles becming entained as you pour)
Fill the reservoir with clean fluid.
You can secure the pipe and crack the nipple by feel and slowly pump the brake 15 times slowly allowing your foot to sink rather than pushing it hard.
After 15 pumps (or fewer) carefully refill the reservoir in a way which doesn't put bubbles in the fluid as they tend to stay in suspension rather than floating up as with water etc...
Repeat until new fluid exits the nipple (it is usually much clearer than the old fluid which is yellow)
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree you would still benefit from someone watching for bubbles to ensure air is out of the system and the fluid is fresh and clean. However, i don't think one would achieve the same benefit of the anti-siphon effect of the check value design. If i understand your suggestion correctly, are you saying by placing the clear tube coming from the stock bleeder nipple and submersing into a bottle with some brake fluid at the bottom would achieve the same result? In your suggested scenario, wouldn't one have to shut off the value before releasing the brake pedal, else air would be drawn back into the caliper?

If so, I don't understand how that would be the same. As the speed bleeders claim (not my claim) that air won't get PULLED back into the caliper from the pumping of the brake pedal while their bleeder is open because of 2 factors; the check valve closes off and the flexible thread coatings act as a seal on the threads.

Am i missing something...

Alternatively, pressure bleeding would be a better one-man approach if available.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well for around $30 (USD) I thought a set was rather reasonable in cost. Interesting idea you have about the tube with a check value at one end. Do you have a product name or link to see what one looks like, as i'm not aware?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe I'm crazy, but this all seems like you're making this issue WAY more complicated than it needs to be. Pickup a pressure bleeder, pressurize the system, and go around the car cracking the bleeders until you seen clean, fresh fluid. Remove pressure bleeder, check fluid level, and be done with it.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your not crazy, My pressure bleeder won't fit the car in question. I use my pressure bleeder for the Audi (home-made) works great. The speed-bleeders are for my Lexus which has a very goofy brake fluid cap and can't get my pressure bleeder to work with it. Therefore, I was looking at the speedbleeders as an alternative option for the Lexus. Perhaps i should have noted that in my OP.

Thanks for your input as the pressure bleeder is a very good way to go when available, no argument there. I was simply looking for other solutions that didn't require the drawn out process of pump-open-close-release brake, repeat! process of the traditional two-man job.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Galco
Your not crazy, My pressure bleeder won't fit the car in question. I use my pressure bleeder for the Audi (home-made) works great. The speed-bleeders are for my Lexus which has a very goofy brake fluid cap and can't get my pressure bleeder to work with it. Therefore, I was looking at the speedbleeders as an alternative option for the Lexus. Perhaps i should have noted that in my OP.

Thanks for your input as the pressure bleeder is a very good way to go when available, no argument there. I was simply looking for other solutions that didn't require the drawn out process of pump-open-close-release brake, repeat! process of the traditional two-man job.
If you have a Motive bleeder, they sell an adapter for the Lexus.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Galco
Am i missing something...
I believe you are missing that end of hose is in the brake fluid, so it can't suck any air.

Quick Reply: Speed Bleeders for flushing/bleeding brakes, anyone use them?