A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel won't tilt or scope...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel won't tilt or scope...

No movement even with presets. Is this a simple switch issue, if so how to pop off and replace? If, not, is there a manual option to move the steering wheel or is it electronic only?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you tried little push button next to the adjustment switch?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Have you tried little push button next to the adjustment switch?
Mishar:

I have pushed the little button behind the switch ( not sure what it's purpose is) but there is a lot of slack in it, as if it is not connected to anything behind it.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That one turns adjustment on and off.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm looking to move the wheel just 2 inches higher and leave it there. Right now I have to bend down to see my turn signal indicators and the top half of the speedo. Are the chances high that it's a bigger issue than the switch?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There can be more than that switch but it would be easiest fix if it is that switch. Besides that you can check fuses 38 (30A) and 40 (25A) in the left fuse panel. For anything else you need VCDS scan.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a separate fuse on my car (2009 S8) for the steering column adjustment. On my car it is fuse 40 on the left fuse panel. You might check the fuse. Not sure why the fuse would blow but if it works long enough to adjust it at least it will solve your problem.

That little button turns the easy entry adjustment on and off. It will raise the column when you turn off the ignition and return it to the stored position when you turn on the car. I leave this off as it seems no easier to enter or exit the car and I see it being additional wear on the adjustment motor. You should be able to adjust the column regardless of whether the button is in or out.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Check my posts...

hey buddy, if you search my posts, there's one on here about that very issue. When Jake was down here in the lowly ranks of D3's , he posted some TSB's about the problem, they're still on the post.

If you [I]really[I] can't find them on here, PM me and I'll dig them out. It was all to do with drive belt tension in the steering column if I remember rightly. As with so many things on our cars, once something goes out of tolerance, the car just rejects the system.

My car was doing the same thing, and I never got around to addressing it. I bought a spare column for my car, but that's a winter project. You can get to the multi-plug for the motors on the side of the column if you take the lower trim/knee airbag off, so that may allow you to apply current to the correct motor and move it up. That was my plan...

K9
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

K9:

Thanks for the info, I'll search for the post. Checked the fuse and all looks good, so I'll have to dig deeper ( but some of these in-house fixes are above my pay grade)
Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Steering column module reset

I took my 04 A8 into the dealer thinking it would be something like the switch or motor. The service advisor said they just reset the module and it started to work without any replacement of parts. That could be all you need to do, maybe some of the more tech savy guys on this forum can guide you on how to do that.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel won't tilt or scope...