A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still have the lift mode and loving it...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Still have the lift mode and loving it...

Yesterday, we went to a relative's townhouse complex and there are tons of dual tall sharp speed bumps (they really want to make sure you can't drive over 2 miles or break your car), the bumps are so high that the A8 barely made it. I told my wife to go to lift mode (which she doesn't know, obviously), well for those who don't, click the "CAR" button, use the big dial and move it to LIFT, the push the big button to select. The car will rise if the air suspension is working - it seemed like it's hard but it does clear these bumps very nicely, although, my wife doesn't drive over them @ high speed or anything like that. It's safe and wonderful.
NO LIFT MODE

LIFT MODE

and she did too close to a cub and the rim scratched right away, I hate these 40s profile.

BTW, we drove up to 40MPH and the suspension doesn't get out of the lift mode - at what speed does the car get out or mine system is malfunctioning?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to call mine monster truck mode, but it does come in handy. Car should lower at about 40 or 45 mph IIRC.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Lift mode parameters (+ your report fits the spec):

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
BTW, we drove up to 40MPH and the suspension doesn't get out of the lift mode - at what speed does the car get out or mine system is malfunctioning?

Cheers,

Louis
Lift mode kicks out immediately on hitting a (relatively high) 100kph/62MPH. You can select it in motion up to 80kph/50MPH.

Since we are both in the Bay Area and I saw your reference to SUV's and snow in another post, it's a great winter "Tahoe" mode. Just set it w/ snow on the ground and it will probably hold until you hit the clear roads on I- 80. That 1" boost is very helpful for the driveway berms and other road crap, plus (as you may see), the frozen slush crap tends to like to stick to that sound absorbing wheel well felt material (as it does on my A6 in back), so the extra wheel well space is good to help eventually shed the frozen mud and sand laden icy muck.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-19-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hit 65 today and it didn't switch off LIFT

Hit 65 today and it didn't switch - Mine is dead -

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Run it up to 70 and see

The speed numbers I quoted are from the A8L SSP on the suspension. You said it dropped the other day into dynamic, so that suggests to me it is working in general and responsive to speed inputs.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I had to change it by the MMI switch - NOT automatically - So watch out guys - it's scary on the freeway on monster mode. BTW, the brake pads light is on today - how long do I have before it scrapes the rotors?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Brakes: four digits, not three

Never say never, but any time I have had a light go on and then pulled the pads quickly or visually inspected them, they still have decent life to go--as in not just hundreds of miles, but likely a thousand easily. Call it 2mm+. But your decision; once light goes on I do a close visual of the pads on both sides to be sure I don't have some odd ball scenario like a caliper hanging up and then uneven pad wear inside and out or at an angle. Assuming it's got life to go and I don't yet have them on hand, I order them up pronto and do it a week or two later. If its a close call, off to the local parts store for some decent brand but for more $ and often more dust.

Also, the rears turn on a wear light--don't recall if its the same warning light as the fronts, but it goes on. Thus also be sure you know which "end" it really is. The fronts are off the sensor on each side's set of pads, while the rear is calculated off the electronic parking brake motor calibration and position.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-19-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks MP4, I got my pads last few weeks - I'll do them tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I had to change it by the MMI switch - NOT automatically - So watch out guys - it's scary on the freeway on monster mode.
Isn't it a sport model? If it is Lift Mode is just like Comfort with regular suspension. Why do you find it scary?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It doesn't switch - back and I don't know if it's safe to drive with the air shocks fully extended. The height is fine - I just worry about the suspension.
Anyhow, the wife was playing with the setting when we got to the restaurant, she moved the dial and I can hear and see the front shocks hissing while lowering and extremely quiet while raising. I think it's fine.

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: Still have the lift mode and loving it...