A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggested maintenance on my 08 A8L

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suggested maintenance on my 08 A8L

My beloved D3 has 87k miles on the clock and we are moving to FL from NY this year.
Owned it since 18k miles and it is now paid off.

I want to address some of the maintenance items before it makes the drive.

Front end has all been replaced, A/C compressor, one headlight assembly and a bunch of other minor items all covered under warranty.
I know the air suspension will fail at some point plus a few other expensive items.
For what the car is worth I just can't justify replacing it with anything that would come close to the driving experience.

I've done recent brake fluid & fuel filter.

Plan to do the following soon, but what have I missed?
Trans fluid & filter
Power steering fluid
Anti Freeze
Serptentine Belt
Air filter
Diff fluid if suggested I'll do it

TIA
Old 05-13-2017, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're a wise man.
Change out all fluids on your car.
Use all the correct, approved fluids.
1st priority is the transfer filter & fluid.
the diff fluids need to be changed out by now, especially the middle one.
Have the brakes been flushed out & bled? If not, they're next.
After the fluids, change all the filters on your car.
Just doing all the filters & fluids will help your car last very significantly!
Good move to do all this!

Last edited by LarryJa; 05-13-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Check your 4 sunroof drains and make sure they all drain easily out the wheel wells. Check the cowl drains too. If any of them seem to drain slowly or not at all, they need a cleaning.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Soun

Originally Posted by RobertV
My beloved D3 has 87k miles on the clock and we are moving to FL from NY this year.
Owned it since 18k miles and it is now paid off.

I want to address some of the maintenance items before it makes the drive.

Front end has all been replaced, A/C compressor, one headlight assembly and a bunch of other minor items all covered under warranty.
I know the air suspension will fail at some point plus a few other expensive items.
For what the car is worth I just can't justify replacing it with anything that would come close to the driving experience.

I've done recent brake fluid & fuel filter.

Plan to do the following soon, but what have I missed?
Trans fluid & filter
Power steering fluid
Anti Freeze
Serptentine Belt
Air filter
Diff fluid if suggested I'll do it

TIA
yes
Old 05-13-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you everyone.
Brake fluid flushed and brakes bled within the last 500 miles.

I've always done all my own old school maintenance for the last 35 years.
So filters and fluids are always done.

I tried to get the dealer to do the trans fluid and filter under the extended service contract since it wasn't as silky smooth as before....they didn't go for it.
I planned to do Redline for the trans and oem filter. Isn't that what the long time D3ers use?

What have others used in the diffs? OR should I stick with OEM?

Forgot about the sunroof and cowling drains!
Old 05-13-2017, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default If it works, why fix it?

Before I take any long trip, if my car has been running well, I would only check the fluid levels and top them up. It would be ashamed to have someone open up the car and do things to it and by chance screw it up somehow and the car became walking wounded... The trip suddenly be gone or delayed?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-13-2017, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default ZF and Audi are my fluids.

Originally Posted by RobertV

I tried to get the dealer to do the trans fluid and filter under the extended service contract since it wasn't as silky smooth as before....they didn't go for it.
I planned to do Redline for the trans and oem filter. Isn't that what the long time D3ers use?

What have others used in the diffs? OR should I stick with OEM?

Forgot about the sunroof and cowling drains!
I have to recommend going with ZF Lifeguard for the tranny fluid. The Mercon SP may be just as good. I have a 6 speed ZF in another car that was filled with Pentosin fluid and it works perfectly in Texas. Viscosity is higher than ZF.
There is only one fluid for the Torsen center differential. A liter is expensive, should flush several of them. It does not hold much.
The rear and front an be filled with other fluids, but going back with Audi fluid is a peace of mind decision.
I flushed my rear differential with Mobil One lube and a rear wheel bearing started to make noise soon after. Flushed differentail three times thinking it was the Mobil One. Finally replaced the wheel bearing and all is quiet now. I was half convinced the Mobil One damaged the differential. Never again for me.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
I have to recommend going with ZF Lifeguard for the tranny fluid. The Mercon SP may be just as good. I have a 6 speed ZF in another car that was filled with Pentosin fluid and it works perfectly in Texas. Viscosity is higher than ZF.
There is only one fluid for the Torsen center differential. A liter is expensive, should flush several of them. It does not hold much.
The rear and front an be filled with other fluids, but going back with Audi fluid is a peace of mind decision.
I flushed my rear differential with Mobil One lube and a rear wheel bearing started to make noise soon after. Flushed differentail three times thinking it was the Mobil One. Finally replaced the wheel bearing and all is quiet now. I was half convinced the Mobil One damaged the differential. Never again for me.
the rear diff isn't picky as to what gear fluid is used. I used BG products 75w90 and had friends use Mobil 1. As long as it's a synthetic fluid and 75w90 then you're fine. Funny you say you had the wheel bearing issue as I flushed my diff thinking that's why there was noise and it turned out being the wheel bearing.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Usually Audi will do a complete check of your car for free. I took my wife's 08 and they found nothing.