A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Drains

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Drains

Has anyone had any issues?

After a entire night of HEAVY rain, the front right "A" pillar was damp to the touch and would imagine it's either the sunroof drains or a poor replacement windscreen. The windscreen I have has all of the "official" Audi markings so I am leaning more toward the sunroof drains. My '04 A8L lives outdoors in a wooded setting and I am wondering if it's not all clogged with fine pollen dust and dirt from spring.

I see that Volkswagen had a TSB on this recommending a throughout check and clean every 40k miles. (My car as 72k on odo)

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

KAS
Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep, but in an 2005 passat TDI I had. I paid a $700 each time to fix this twice, as the car would develop quite a funk.

I thought it was just a musty smell, or kids had spilled something, old vomit.. whatever until one day after it rained we noticed the passenger floor from front to rear was wet.

Now I check to make sure the drains are clear.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Funny..I just received a notice from Audi that there is a new maintanence procedure at 40K to clean the sunroof or plenum drains. Seems there is a class action suit!!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the last several years, I've also had two A4's and a GTI- I received 2 letters about a class action lawsuit about the sunroof drains in both those cars. Too bad I don't own them anymore because I'd collect and retire early...

No issues with my sunroof but I actually rarely open it except to flip up the back for ventilation.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I beleive the suit said it was settled with Audi including the service with the 40K service.

Last edited by Emauss; 05-12-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have a 2004 allroad. Received the service bulletin/class action lawsuit mailing yesterday regarding water ingress due to clogged sunroof & air plenum drains. It includes very specific instructions on how to recover damages from past repairs that were due to this issue. Covers cost of Transmission Control Unit and carpeting repair.

But you need to react quickly. There is an expiration on submitting claims.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Most (if not all) factory installed sunroofs have drains. Is there going to be a class action lawsuit against every manufacturer that installs sunroofs in their vehicles?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Emauss
Funny..I just received a notice from Audi that there is a new maintanence procedure at 40K to clean the sunroof or plenum drains. Seems there is a class action suit!!
I received the notice for my 2001 VW Beetle and my wife received one for her late Brother's A4. No notice for my '04 A8L.

Funny that she's on the owner's list since he was killed when his car was totaled. It was an ugly 1/2 & 1/2 head on collision (50 mph each vehicle) on a mountain road in NM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Emauss
I just received the notice also. (Actually I received 3 ..all with my correct address but with 2 others had names not my own.. Audi must have had some database error) ANYWAY It would have been nice if there was some pamphlet w/ DIY maintenance or just a simple diagram would have been more helpful. I just bought the car with 71K ..I do not know if that maintenance was ever done and have little faith in my local dealer to take initiative. Anyone have any helpful advice on what I can do to make sure theres no clogging taking place?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

The drains on my A8 are in the front corners of the sunroof jam. They are accessed by opening the sunroof all the way and pressing down on the wind deflector. I use a foam paint brush with soap and water to clean the drain area.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Drains