A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof issues on 09 L

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof issues on 09 L

Greetings, new member and just bought my first Audi. 09 A8L checked everything, ran diagnostics... had mechanic look at it. But I forgot to open the sunroof....

My luck it was the only problem with car, the interior shade binds on something when pushing it back, one out of three times it will slide open fairly easy, the other two it gets hung on something.

When I open the roof, it pushes the shade back past the point I can slide it from the inside. When it gets to that point you can hear the motor starting to work harder. It opens but there is defenitely hitting something.

Any thoughts as to what could be the problem? I guess the correct thing is to remove the glass and inspect the top of the shade. Once the glass is removed can I simply slide the shade out and with a flashlight look into the opening for an obstruction?

I appreciate in advance any help with the issue.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nothing.....?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board!

No answer means that nobody present has any experience with the sunroof. But ELSA Win and Bentley Manuals know it all. It is good to have one of them and VCDS if you plan to keep this car any longer.

Looking to the manual I would say that you have right idea what to do. To remove the glass panel you need to remove side wind protectors, unscrew 6 screws and lift it from outside. I hope you will be able to see what is wrong in there. Please come back with your experience. It will help the next guy.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default I've fooled with it, but no magic pill here...

The shade travels with the roof panel. Yes, whole glass panel can be pulled. Had it out on my C5 A6 (same basic design) a couple of times. It interconnects in some way with the shade; been a while since I fooled with the sunroof in D3 when I replaced the front air deflector motor, and my C5 was the solar panel type. What I do recall from the C5 is simply you have to have the two put together correctly relative to each other or the shade hangs up some--it relates to the panel motorized movement, yet has its own track space. The trim panel design is also somewhat different for the solar panel roof ones, since the panel always travels with the roof on those.

And no, as I recall you cannot take the shade out when you take out the glass panel, at least not without flexing it a lot. IIRC the whole assembly/aka cassette has to come out of the roof to free the shade/trim panel up from its tracks. That's a bigger job.

Net, I would first look it over carefully and stick your head up in there with roof mostly open, plus pop the back of the roof up to get some visibility in there (more in the closed position). You are looking for the finesse stuff that interconnects the two I think. And look on both sides; you may have an issue where one side is connected right but not the other so it is getting cockeyed as it moves. Clean up the tracks and lubricate areas (that won't stain headliner) with some silicone spray.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanx guys for biting....
I was hoping someone had seem something similar. I think I will spend the time with the exhausting detailing and taking the swirls out of the black paint first. I also have the non open trunk issue, there are obvious rubbed spots on the trunk hinge. It seems that the trunk when completely closed rests against the plastic liner on the outside of the hinge. I have resisted just prying it a little out of the way because I fear the trunk will then be a little out of alignment when closed. Would that happen? The motor has enough power to open it I believe if it were not resting against the plastic.

Thank you again for your comments!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You can strait hinges. Bringing them to the original shape won't spoil anything.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  35.8 KB